Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 05:13 AM

Pompeii Bakery

One of the places I've always wanted to visit and study is this Pompeii bakery. I waited too long and now my health does not allow me to travel. I should have stopped over for a visit on my way back from Egypt

You can see from the painting that the grain was hauled into the upper level and then poured into the 1st of several stone mills.

Though the painting does not show it, it is certain that there would have been a "starter vat" where naturally occurring yeast, which is always present floating in the air, had a chance to work it's magic and develop a great flavor.

When the "starter" was bubbling happily away, a small amount of it would have been added to the milled flour, water and salt.
From there the dough would have been allowed to rise until doubled, shaped into loaves, allowed to double once again. and finally baked in the brick, wood-fired oven.

It is thought that neighbors would have purchased their bread several times/day. Thus always having fresh bread.

Note: because the flour was stone ground, tiny amounts of stone dust would have been present in the finished bread. Not too great for dental enamel.

2nd note/question: were slaves used to turn the stone mills or oxen ? No proof either way. But, slaves were expensive to buy. Oxen on the other hand would have left foul smelling "deposits" on the bakery floor.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	7ef049e9280b073b86819b0fa6ddc612.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	13889   Click image for larger version

Name:	gettyimages-501582509-1024x1024.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	13890   Click image for larger version

Name:	pompeii-bakery-building-ruins-64767120.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	13891  
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 06:11 AM

Re: Pompeii Bakery

I went to Pompeii twice for a few hours only sadly. It was while on a med cruise 20 years ago . It is an amazing place and for me very special . I love to watch the documentarys. I would have imagined slaves used for this work because as you say oxen would have been unclean .

I would have liked to have gone again for a longer period of time but I doubt if I will now . I've learned so much by going there and reading of their lifes .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 06:59 AM

It's a place I have always wanted to visit too, but regarding the ancient bread I'll bet it was pretty coarse and tough on the teeth...
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I went to Pompeii twice for a few hours only sadly. It was while on a med cruise 20 years ago . It is an amazing place and for me very special . I love to watch the documentarys. I would have imagined slaves used for this work because as you say oxen would have been unclean .

I would have liked to have gone again for a longer period of time but I doubt if I will now . I've learned so much by going there and reading of their lifes .
Lucky girl. I'd give my eye teeth to spend an entire week at Pompeii.

Originally Posted by Barry ->
It's a place I have always wanted to visit too, but regarding the ancient bread I'll bet it was pretty coarse and tough on the teeth...
You may be correct about the coarseness.
I've always wondered if some of the ancient Roman breads were flavored with beer. Todays "craft" beers are especial good for that. "Craft' beers, unlike mass produced beers, have lots of live yeast.

Photo of petrified bread found in Pompeii bakery. AND, photo of bread made the way we SUSPECT that they made their bread.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IGSZAqrAAmeFfclWK7Rho2vwegghWdvOorayzgVjzWA.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	13892   Click image for larger version

Name:	6a4e8607d22a7a2d54aba60d4f6af8da.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	13893  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 10:19 AM

We visited Pompeii a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed the old city and of course the 'bodies'(quite sad when you see them for real). The bakery is an amazing place with its ovens and even a serving counter. The brothel was interesting too.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 10:36 AM

And when Vesuvius blows again....and it will....there are now millions living in the Naples area....It'll make the pandemic look like a bit of a nasty cough.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

As a keen historian, I doubt if slaves at that time would be noticeably cleaner than tended oxen.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 04:49 PM

As we lived in Rome for a good number of years, it was incumbent on us to take any visitors on a day trip to Pompeii (2hr drive). We've see it so many times but still enjoy watching the various TV documentaries about any recent discoveries as newer excavations are uncovering. On the whole, though, I much preferred visiting Ercolano (Herculaneum) which I thought was much better preserved after Vesuvius blow its top.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 05:32 PM

Been there got loads of photos and couple ov videos
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
One of the places I've always wanted to visit and study is this Pompeii bakery. I waited too long and now my health does not allow me to travel. I should have stopped over for a visit on my way back from Egypt

You can see from the painting that the grain was hauled into the upper level and then poured into the 1st of several stone mills.

Though the painting does not show it, it is certain that there would have been a "starter vat" where naturally occurring yeast, which is always present floating in the air, had a chance to work it's magic and develop a great flavor.

When the "starter" was bubbling happily away, a small amount of it would have been added to the milled flour, water and salt.
From there the dough would have been allowed to rise until doubled, shaped into loaves, allowed to double once again. and finally baked in the brick, wood-fired oven.

It is thought that neighbors would have purchased their bread several times/day. Thus always having fresh bread.

Note: because the flour was stone ground, tiny amounts of stone dust would have been present in the finished bread. Not too great for dental enamel.

2nd note/question: were slaves used to turn the stone mills or oxen ? No proof either way. But, slaves were expensive to buy. Oxen on the other hand would have left foul smelling "deposits" on the bakery floor.
That looks amazing - thank you for sharing the photos - would love to see it in real life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top