Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 05:35 PM

Re: Pompeii Bakery

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
And when Vesuvius blows again....and it will....there are now millions living in the Naples area....It'll make the pandemic look like a bit of a nasty cough.
Do you really think it will?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 06:27 PM

Min high street those are the shops Those stones in the road were to stop the carts going down hill too fast

got another to show but have to put on youtube first
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 06:47 PM

scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 06:50 PM

We went to Pompeii many years ago. Also went to the top of Vesuvius. The Campi Flegrei volcano is closer to Naples and is causing some concern.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 08:57 PM

Realspeed's info may be correct, but I have read that those stones which cross the street were used so people could cross the street during a rainy day and the streets were flooded.
Take another look at those stones and see if that also makes sense.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 09:20 PM

Our guide also mentioned that in the pavement area there were minute crystals or cats eyes as we know them to guide walkers on dark nights . Also the average Roman was 5ft tall . I was so surprised . The museum in Naples is fantastic as a lot of the artefacts are there .

An amazing place to see . Mount Vesuvius will blow again sometime as she is active . But I suppose they all think it wont be in their lifetime . I think nowadays the scientists can give early warnings for evacuation
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-10-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Realspeed's info may be correct, but I have read that those stones which cross the street were used so people could cross the street during a rainy day and the streets were flooded.
Take another look at those stones and see if that also makes sense.
I can only quote what the tour guide told us, however you might well be correct
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
got photos of vesuvius as well

You get to see these things on a CRUISE
***Please do not use large, bold font in your posts.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 10:24 PM

** Off topic posts removed.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I can only quote what the tour guide told us, however you might well be correct
Yes, I guessed as much. One thing I have noticed about tour guides is that they very often contradict what the expert archeologists/anthropologists have to say.

Personally speaking, I much more inclined to believe a person who has devoted his/her life to the study of a particular subject.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top