Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 02:40 PM

Modest or Lavish Wedding

When I got married 43 years ago my parents didn't have much money but they gave me a lovely but modest wedding.
I was allowed 50 guests including family, I had a white wedding, car and buffet reception.

I bought my own wedding dress which cost £5 second hand. Mum and Dad paid for the reception and car.

It was a wonderful, happy day and one that will stay with me for ever and I'm grateful to my parents for helping make my day so special by paying for the reception of which I couldn't have afford without them. I married when I was 17 so no savings and little wage.

I've just read this story and I'm astonished anyone would pay so much for a wedding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54529132

I get it's personal choice lavish or modest but £16,000 deposit? Wow, just think what that sort of money could buy. It doesn't sit right with me but like I say, personal choice and really none of my business...........but............sixteen grand!!!

So did you have a quiet modest or busy lavish,

I remember I cried on my wedding day, I was so overwhelmed with how lovely everyone was to me, I'd never been the centre of attention before and it really was overwhelming, wonderful memories.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 03:41 PM

Re: Modest or Lavish Wedding

My late OH & I, had a quiet wedding, got married in a registry office, (well I was 5 months pregnant), (& no it wasn't a shot gun wedding) We had a modest reception in a local pub. Buffet food & sherry on arrival then one drink per guest, then they had to pay. Booze was quite cheap then.
We did this because we wanted to buy our own house but needed a substantial deposit & my Father said he would pay that if the wedding was a modest one, we agreed.
I really don't remember much about the day, but I remember the guests trashed my OH's car. Like an idiot, because he didn't think, he gave the keys to one of his mates so the mate could drive to the reception with it & it would be outside waiting when we left for our honeymoon. It was covered in remarks, luckily only on the windows & had a rope on the bumper, tied to it were various cans & confetti in the vents. We didn't find out til later that they had also tied a kipper to the exhaust pipe, the smell was awful. When OH sold the car, a Ford Consul & the guy who bought it said conffetti was still blowing out the vents several months later.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060161.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	13942  
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 03:55 PM

When my ex and I wed, it was a full blown white wedding, Maid of Honour + 3 Bridesmaids + Church + bells and whistles + 70 guests all paid for by yours truly and my parents 'cos her father was "between jobs" at the time. At least I got mate's rates on the photographs and cars. The dresses were made by my ex and her mum.

When V and I wed, it was at the local Registry Office with 10 guests (close family and closer friends). Reception was held at a local hotel with a "Christmas Fayre" menu.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 04:00 PM

When we were married 1968, my parents paid for the reception , I think it cost just over £100, I those days most young folk would hand over their pay packet to their mum, who would give you pocket money...I'd like to see that now...but £16000 for a wedding?? when we bought our council house, it cost us less than that....it's not the wedding reception that matters most,,,it's the marriage.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 04:04 PM

Us? Definitely modest - but in a land far far away.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
When we were married 1968, my parents paid for the reception , I think it cost just over £100, I those days most young folk would hand over their pay packet to their mum, who would give you pocket money...I'd like to see that now...but £16000 for a wedding?? when we bought our council house, it cost us less than that....it's not the wedding reception that matters most,,,it's the marriage.

That is so very true. Friends daughter got married, lavish wedding, cost a bomb, 6 months later they were seperated & later divorced, what a waste of money that was.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 04:21 PM

We went to the registry office with just our Mums as witnesses, then held a small reception lunch at home before pottering in the garden for the afternoon. We had our honeymoon 35 years later when we could better afford it...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 10:51 PM

We had a very modest wedding at the registry office. Lunch with our witnesses at Debenhams restaurant. It wasn't called Debenhams then - It was Griffin & Spalding in Nottingham city centre.

Back to my grandma's house for tea where we were joined by Tony's parents and my auntie & uncle who came all the way from Hull for the occasion.

Followed by an evening down the pub where our witness took to the mike and belted out pop songs all night.

Married life began at grandma's house & we had a day at Skegness 2 days after the wedding. I guess that was the honeymoon...
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 03:56 AM

Modest or Lavish Wedding?
No wedding. I’ve never wanted to marry so didn’t.
I’ve met too many who have been overly invested in the ceremony instead of the actual marriage. Vows can be made without a ceremony.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 08:20 AM

Modest ..both times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top