Join for free
Page 329 of 370 « First < 229 279 319 327 328 329 330 331 339 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 10:45 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
This just occurred to me...

What about your leg muscle mass, OGF? A decrease in muscle size could affect both your breathing and overall performance. What about adding squats and lunges to your day?

I didn't run today after another setback from pushing too much, too early. I'm giving it another go tomorrow.
Just looking back to some posts I might have forgotten to reply to Surfermom....

Aren't squats hard on the knees Surfermom?
And what was the 'setback' that prevented you from running?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 10:59 PM

OGF, you know I make a lifestyle maintain fitness, I deliver prescriptions of an evening, there is a tower block I have to deliver to, on the ninth floor there is a regular, I use the stairs, and, have a none breathless conversation with the recipient, as long as this continues post 60 years old, there is no need for a regime of any kind.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 11:12 PM

See if you are to fit, you may be the last man standing, and, that would never do.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
See if you are to fit, you may be the last man standing, and, that would never do.
If you were with the last woman standing too, that wouldn't be so bad
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
If you were with the last woman standing too, that wouldn't be so bad
Especially if that woman was 'Surfermom'......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-11-2019, 11:19 AM

OGF, you know I make a lifestyle maintain fitness, I deliver prescriptions of an evening, there is a tower block I have to deliver to, on the ninth floor there is a regular, I use the stairs, and, have a none breathless conversation with the recipient, as long as this continues post 60 years old, there is no need for a regime of any kind.
That's very good Spitty, I can't string a sentence together after a sedate paced five mile run....
Stairs are excellent training though and I wish there was a flight of them near here....
I like to visit people in hospital and use the opportunity to do the 10 flights top to bottom....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-11-2019, 11:37 AM

Sometimes I think that we are too comfortable, especially as we get older and retired.
We live in centrally heated houses and take the motor wherever possible.
As a runner though, It's just nice occasionally to push the limits. I'm sure Surfermom will agree.

And this morning was one such morning. The rain was pouring down and the country tracks were full of puddles and mud, but as I reached the lane with two miles to go, I slid back the hood on my waterproof jacket, let the rain run into my face and hair, and on tired legs pushed as hard as I could.

My quads hurt from the injection of pace and I began to stagger, lungs were fighting for breath and arms flailed outward trying to pull me along through the damp air, but I kept up the pace.

I got to the point where I just couldn't run any more and slowed to a jog.
After a couple of minutes I began to breathe normally and the ache in my legs subsided, so I went again. My final effort was down the street and across the green to my house, I was sprinting as fast as I could, but although my muscles objected, it felt like they wanted more, and it felt good.

I held on until I was staggering onto my drive, almost dizzy and gasping for air I leaned against the wall in the pouring rain and it felt so good.....
Not something a 69 year old does very often....Is it just me Surfermom, or have you felt it too?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

03-11-2019, 11:31 PM

Just seen your Spreadsheet in the random photo insert OGF, not bad.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Just seen your Spreadsheet in the random photo insert OGF, not bad.
Thanks Spitty, I don't know how it happened, at the age of 27 trying to cure a hangover I took my first tentative steps down the lane and realised I could run a long way without stopping, and it felt good. It still does.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Oh, how I do love going outdoors, and it really is the best medicine out there...

except when it's cold.

You see, I made the terrible decision to drive to one of my favorite trails, the one that winds through a small creek lined with deciduous and pine trees, wearing only shorts and a light running top. When I hopped out of the car, it was so chilly that I skipped my usual stretching and took off like I had just robbed a bank.

Tight and shivering with a stride a long-jumper would have envied, I ran forward only because the trail beckoned with one life-saving sunlit patch after another. Soon enough, I could feel my shoulders relax, and my body fall into that familiar rhythm and motion of heartbeat and breath, feet and arms, in a mysterious symphony that it had long-ago learned separate from consciousness - amazing things, our bodies (even old ones).

Mind wandering to the wonders of ancient evolution that make such things possible, I rounded the turn to see Lefty, the resident alligator, just crossing the pond and slithering into her favorite watery spot. For all of our smugness, she was way ahead of us in the evolutionary department, having evolved into a perfect machine of survival millions of years before we had. Why is it that despite her ectothermy was she never seemingly cold? Morning salutations cast her way, my feet continued on, one mile, two....and before I knew it, five had become six. Diamonds of rest around me, Lefty settled into her spot and the birds in the morning sky, I wasn't so cold anymore....

6.25 miles.

Page 329 of 370 « First < 229 279 319 327 328 329 330 331 339 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top