Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 03:07 PM

I want a new radio

My old radio cassette player is getting very tired, becoming more & more difficult to tune, and showing more & more distortion when playing cassettes. I didn't play many cassettes on it anyway, and would use my hi-fi for that, so I only need the radio
I can listen on my digital TV, but that only has a few radio stations, so I'm looking for a new radio

I've heard conflicting reports about Digital Audio Broadcasting

That it's fine in theory, but not so good in practice, hence they keep extending the deadline for switching off the AM/FM broadcasting.
But the threat or possibility is still there

As they do, the powers to be and those that make these decisions may switch the AM/FM broadcast signal off anyway, regardless of public opinion. This follows the line of many things, that something new is bound to be better than something old

So what should I do? I wouldn't be buying till after Christmas, and probably well into January, so there's no rush
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Re: I want a new radio

I would go for the good old Roberts Radio. Always been very reliable over the years and sound quality is excellent.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Go to a few boot sales and buy a selection of radios.

Some ten years ago I bought a clock radio for 45 p ... it's got 4 wave bands and is good
Tuppy
South East England
Tuppy is female  Tuppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 03:44 PM

I love my DAB radio, wouldn't be without it. So many choices of stations.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tuppy ->
I love my DAB radio, wouldn't be without it. So many choices of stations.
I have two Pure DAB radios , I have has one of them for many years. The tone is good and there is no interference requiring retuning with the aerial as there used to be with the old FM/AM radios
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I would go for the good old Roberts Radio. Always been very reliable over the years and sound quality is excellent.
I agree about Roberts, very good make
Digital radio is a pain if using batteries, if plugged in, it is fine
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 04:39 PM

I recently bought a Philips radio/cassette/CD player, because I still have a lot of tapes I can play.

I also have a Roberts DAB radio, Roberts I think are the best, if you only want a radio.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 04:47 PM

With our Roberts - you can record programmes from the radio
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 04:54 PM

I agree that Roberts are good, but my choice would be Bose, expensive but the best you have to pay for.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2015, 05:04 PM

Our new car has a DAB / FM radio and both work beautifully on the move.
In the house, both DAB & FM work perfectly although the DAB needs the areials to be positioned properly. I think this is because of the stone walls that mess up radio signals.

We bought a Roberts radio alarm clock, but the sound quality was awful and the display was so bright (on its lowest setting) that it couldn't be used in a bedroom. We returned it and bought a 'Pure' which is far superiour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top