Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Re: Gallstone Disease!

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Pats, the breaking up of stones isn't so successful as the removal of the gall bladder apparently.
It can be, depending on the construction and size of the stones.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the link Wrinkly, I know how you feel about having surgery, I've had my gallstone for a year now as I'm too overweight to have the operation but I'm going too London in the next week to have a MRI MRCP scan in an open scanner which is a large open scanner for obese people and people that suffer from chlaustraphobia (sorry can't spell that). They want to check that my bile ducts aren't blocked and then I'm seeing a surgeon to see what's possible for me.

When I saw a consultant a year ago I said to him "should I go on a low fat diet?" and he replied "no, it doesn't affect what you eat", but when I saw another consultant this last time he advised eating a low fat diet. You don't know who to believe It makes sense to eat a low fat diet.

I love beans and pulses so I might try that advice as well. Good luck with yours.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
It makes sense to eat a low fat diet..
Absolutely.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Absolutely.
One of the differences between humans and rats is that humans evolved a gallbladder, rats didn't.
Human evolution evolved to enable us to consume fat safely.

If we want our gallbladders to work efficiently we need them to open fully regularly.
The role of gallbladder emptying in gallstone formation during diet-induced rapid weight loss
The foods that enable the most effective gall bladder clearance are those containing fat.
Effects of various food ingredients on gall bladder emptying
There is a fairly recent paper here summarising some of the research on gallstones
Nutritional Approaches to Prevention and Treatment of Gallstones

See also
Vitamin C supplement use may protect against gallstones
For those who like science papers this one explains how to reduce gallstones with garlic and onion.
Regression of preestablished cholesterol gallstones by dietary garlic and onion in experimental mice.

A search of Pubmed for Antilithogenic brings up Fenugreek capsaicin and curcumin which combined with the onions and galic form the basis for a good curry.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 04:44 PM

This should be interesting...Pats have you come across Ted before?
Pats
Lincolnshire

13-10-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
This should be interesting...Pats have you come across Ted before?
No I don't think I have orangutan, but I do know the anatomy an physiology of the hepatic system.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 07:57 PM

Gut dysbiosis associated with gallstones, study finds

Useful new blog here that may enable people prevent recurrence of gallstones.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by TedHutchinson ->
One of the differences between humans and rats is that humans evolved a gallbladder, rats didn't.
Human evolution evolved to enable us to consume fat safely.

If we want our gallbladders to work efficiently we need them to open fully regularly.
The role of gallbladder emptying in gallstone formation during diet-induced rapid weight loss
The foods that enable the most effective gall bladder clearance are those containing fat.
Effects of various food ingredients on gall bladder emptying
There is a fairly recent paper here summarising some of the research on gallstones
Nutritional Approaches to Prevention and Treatment of Gallstones

See also
Vitamin C supplement use may protect against gallstones
For those who like science papers this one explains how to reduce gallstones with garlic and onion.
Regression of preestablished cholesterol gallstones by dietary garlic and onion in experimental mice.

A search of Pubmed for Antilithogenic brings up Fenugreek capsaicin and curcumin which combined with the onions and galic form the basis for a good curry.
Thanks for the links to the studies Ted - they are always helpful in health related threads. I wasn't aware of the links between garlic and onions to cholesterol gallstones. I do actually find garlic helps me greatly when it comes to general symptoms such as headaches.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

13-10-2013, 10:06 PM

These comments are alien to me,I had polyps,sludge and folds in my gallbladder,changed my diet to high protien,meat eggs etc,but still low carb,plus coffee enemas,fixed me in 2-3 months,the coffee enemas were instant relief,i actually heard the gallbladder empty after the second one.

All bile comes from cholesterol,so if you lower your cholesterol half the battle is over,i have a high saturated fat,low carb diet,fat is good for you,you need fat in your diet,and if you have a problem with the Sphincter of Oddi then you get some nasty symptoms from that.If you do not have a fat and protien rich diet then the Sphincter of Oddi stays closed and that is not good.

Billy
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 10:32 PM

I think I got my gallstone because I went on a strict diet for me and ate the same thing for six months and in that six months I lost 5 stone and it says one of the causes of gallstones is losing weight too quickly plus I didn't eat any fat in that six months. The pain started a week after I had my hysterectomy operation, that was a year ago now and in a year I have only had 5 episodes of it, I get pain that lasts about 9 hours and then I'm sick and it clears.

Anyway I've just had my MRI MRCP scan done so I'm waiting to see if there are any blockages or bile ducts blocked. I'm not sure if the whole test came out as I had problems when the last lot of pictures were being taken. I was in that scanner for a hour!!!!!

My gallstone is a large one, I only have one so I hope it doesn't get stuck as I'm going to have problems Blasted things!!!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top