Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 11:16 AM

How Amazing!

Ian Tibbetts has been almost completely blind for 14 years, when a piece of scrap metal from an oven struck him in the face and ripped his cornea in six places.

But his sight has remarkably restored thanks to pioneering procedure which reconstructed part of his right eye using one of Mr Tibbetts' own teeth.

A tiny plastic lens is inserted into a hole drilled through the tooth, which is later implanted in the eye - allowing Mr Tibbetts to see the faces of his four-year-old twins Callum and Ryan for the first time.

Before the breakthrough operation, the 43-year-old former forklift truck driver had only ever seen his two sons as blurry shapes.

But after the operation - which he underwent in December last year - the delighted dad-of-two can now see his children for the first time.

And as long as the retina is still functioning, the lens implanted into the eye provides a new window through which the patient is able to see.

Remarkably, because the tooth belongs to the patient, the body does not reject it.

How on earth do they think of these procedures? Very clever anyway and some people could have their sight restored!

Well done to whoever thought of it

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blind-surge...1.html#4W6hsk3
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Re: How Amazing!

The wonders of modern science, eh !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Such a great story !
Filled me with horror for a while, Hubs had a piece of metal shoot into his eye, when he was welding at work. The hospital managed to get it out using a magnet !
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 03:31 PM

A very welcome & heartwarming situation.

Well done that man !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
The wonders of modern science, eh !
It absolutely is Alan - I wish there were more stories like this in the news instead of doom and gloom stuff, it's nice to hear success stories isn't it. I wonder how he felt when he saw his children properly for the first time, it must have been amazing.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

07-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Such a great story !
Filled me with horror for a while, Hubs had a piece of metal shoot into his eye, when he was welding at work. The hospital managed to get it out using a magnet !
My son had a splinter go very deep into the palm of his hand when he was about 6 years old and the doctors didn't want to go digging around too much (although they did try) so they tried Black Jack - and it worked! I know they couldn't very well put Black Jack on your husband's eye but it just made me think of how clever these doctors are at using what's available.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 03:41 PM

Absolutely - marvellous dedication ....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2013, 08:58 PM

That's amazing!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top