Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Hip replacements?

My wife has been told she has severe osteoarthritis and that's what is causing her so much pain moving around.

Looking on the NHS site it says that other than medications, which she's already on to cut down the pain, the next step is hip replacement.
Can anyone give me any info please on this because, although I had a friend who had two replacements, I don't know much about them and my wife does have medical history that could be relevant to any operations as her Dad died from thrombosis.

Her Mum also has osteoarthritis but doesn't seem to have the pain that my wife gets.

Any information would be nice. Thanks, stevmk2
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Re: Hip replacements?

I had my hip replaced a year ago last June. This operation is straightforward, although it is a major procedure. Recovery is fairly rapid these days with modern techniques. Expect 3-5 Days in hospital, movement restrictions for 6-7 weeks, severe bending restrictions for a further 5-6 weeks. Expect to be off work for 3 months, with a phased return for some weeks after that.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I had my hip replaced a year ago last June. This operation is straightforward, although it is a major procedure. Recovery is fairly rapid these days with modern techniques. Expect 3-5 Days in hospital, movement restrictions for 6-7 weeks, severe bending restrictions for a further 5-6 weeks. Expect to be off work for 3 months, with a phased return for some weeks after that.
Thank you so much Graham.

It's my wife that could be going through this and she doesn't work now but your advice is crucial to me as I do work part-time so I'll have to be aware of potential problems. stevmk2
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Please let me have any questions you may have, I will be more than happy to relate my experiences.

However, I would strongly suggest you have a look at www.bonesmart.org Its a forum site for hip and knee replacements, and is jam-packed with advice, stories and recommendations.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 09:56 AM

I was talking to my friend on Skype yesterday and she was telling me about her Sister and her hip replacement. She has had no trouble with
it until lately. They now have told her she will have to have a new one put in. The one she has was nearly guaranteed for 10 years. Seemingly
there is one of the metals they have put in which is not lasting as long
as they expected. You might need to check which one she would receive
as you don't want your wife having the same op again just because the
metal isn't any good. Hope everything goes well for her Steve.
Graham
South Hampshire

23-11-2013, 10:16 AM

The intended design life of a hip is around 10-15 years, but that is dependant on a number of factors, the main one being lifestyle. It is common to expect a hip to last 20 or more years. Obviously if your lifestyle includes marathon running, skiing, parachuting or anything 'high-impact', then that will change.

The process of replacing a worn hip is far simpler than getting done again, as it's the socket that gets replaced, which these days is made from a type of plastic.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 11:27 AM

It will be interesting to see if John Cleese reprises his Ministry of Silly Walks with his new hips.

Graham
South Hampshire

23-11-2013, 11:30 AM

I read yesterday he won't. He says he can't do the sketch because he has had both hip and knee replacement.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I read yesterday he won't. He says he can't do the sketch because he has had both hip and knee replacement.
He probably walks like that naturally now then.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2013, 02:02 PM

I see people coming in for elective hip and knee replacements all the time. It's always for severe Osteoarthritis. I guess it's a quality of life thing. If I were in constant pain.. and no conservative treatment was helping I would definately have one.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top