Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 05:40 PM

Rib pain

Feeling old and decrepid today.. Does anyone else get a "catch" or a cramp in their upper rib area, especially if twisting or bending? I have been having them.. the pain is sharp and it hurts to breathe until it lets up.. can I chalk this up to a big belly too? OR just old age
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Re: Rib pain

Could be your belly couldn't it? I broke my rib cage when I fell when out running. Snapped it at the bottom where it feeds into a sleeve. My left rib cage is deformed now and I also have a sharp bone sticking downwards. If I put on some weight my belly ends up pressing the bone and I get pain. Could be something like that - maybe? When I am nice and slim very little if any pain at all.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 05:57 PM

I found this. It describes it exactly..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome

PCS has consistent characteristics. Its symptoms begin with a sudden onset of anterior chest pain on the left side of the chest. The pain is localized and does not radiate like heart attack pain typically does. Breathing in, and sometimes breathing out, often intensifies the pain. Moving also intensifies the pain. Typically this causes the patient to freeze in place and breathe shallowly until the episode passes. Episodes typically last a couple of seconds to three minutes. The frequency of episodes varies by patient, sometimes occurring daily, multiple episodes each day, or more spread out over weeks, months, or years between episodes. PCS is believed to be localized cramping of certain muscle groups. Intensity of pain can vary from a dull annoying pain to intense pain causing momentary vision loss/blurriness and loss of breath.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Only occasionally but I think it's to do with damage from previously broken ribs, MILs dog Trixie took me out one day completely wiped me off my feet and I landed badly on a 2 foot brick wall, took my breath away the pain that day. Lovely old girl didn't mean to hurt me she just got over excited because I always brought her a sausage LOL
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 06:11 PM

Its similar to what I get, but when it starts it lasts at least 2 days, the first day at its worst. I try to avoid it by not twisting the body, such as turning to one side to put my seat belt on - Hubs does that for me
AudreyII
USA

05-12-2013, 06:54 PM

yeah... once you get a bad one, it's sore for a few days. I just had one this morning... now my side is sore.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2013, 09:12 PM

As I have many similar symptoms as your gastric ones and also get this so, I think it may be connected, my GP said originally it was angina then the fybromyalgia which I have, then costo chondritis (may have spelled that wrong). I don't get it at the same time as the stomach pains though, so who knows?.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I found this. It describes it exactly..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome

Not wishing to alarm you Audrey, but yes I too have suffered similar symptoms for many years. Had a major attack in 1993, the pain of which caused me to 'pass out' (I was in the pub at the time). The Pub landlord whistled up an ambulance and I was carted off to hospital. Turns out the pain I had experienced was caused by a Pulmonary Embolism. I've subsequently had four more and my lungs are well and truly 'shot'. I am now taking rat poison (Warfarin) and will be for the rest of my life.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 10:16 AM

Audrey maybe a chat with your Doctor would ease your mind but also stop anything happening which needs attention. Can you not go see the Doc and then you will be able to cope with what is happening to you. When your body gives you pain its generally because something is not correct and needs a check up. Hope it goes well for you.
AudreyII
USA

06-12-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
As I have many similar symptoms as your gastric ones and also get this so, I think it may be connected, my GP said originally it was angina then the fybromyalgia which I have, then costo chondritis (may have spelled that wrong). I don't get it at the same time as the stomach pains though, so who knows?.

I believe it is costochondritis.. or at least that plays a role. I have found I have lots of muscle pains and aches and twinges being on a statin.. so I take a lipitor break 2 days a week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top