Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Re: Shepherds Pie or Cottage Pie

I sometimes add a handful of red lentils to the mince, put slices of tomatoes between the mince and potato layers, and often add grated cheese to the mash.

A totally different version - cooked sausages (any kind) cut into three or four pieces, onion and mushroom browned in the sausage fat, flour milk and an oxo cube added to make a brown sauce thick enough to support the mash, sausages mixed back in, and the whole lot tipped into a bowl and topped with cheesy mash.

Scrummy!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 12:03 PM

I avoid them like the plague. Both have potato and that is horrible.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 12:24 PM

I used to make Cottage Pie.
I used mince, but always boiled it first to remove as much fat as possible and tended to bag up the cooked mince to keep in the freezer.

If I could be bothered I'd add some grated carrot, always added garlic, a little chili powder, oxo or gravy granules and tinned tomatoes.
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 01:40 PM

I make cottage pie with mince, which I fry off to start with.
I add chopped carrots and onions and marmite or beef stock cube. Then add a bit of flour and water, when it's ready I add mashed potatoes and put it under the grill to brown. Sometimes I add tomatoes between mince and mash. I've never added cheese to the mash, but will try next time.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 02:08 PM

This thread is making my hungry!

Great idea to add kidney - organ meat is very good for you (kidney in particular is high in Vit A).
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 03:28 PM

We will be having Lamb Shepherd's Pie next week, I make a basic one adding a few sliced carrots and loads of onions, I put little bit of English Mustard in my Mash and a bit of grated cheese on top, sometimes I had just a sprinkle of curry powder on top.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
This thread is making my hungry!

Great idea to add kidney - organ meat is very good for you (kidney in particular is high in Vit A).

My butcher gave me that Vit A tip and always puts a few chopped up kidneys into the mince for me It does give it a nice rich taste Azz .
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 04:21 PM

We are having shepherds pie this evening using some mince from a lamb farmed locally. I don't do a great deal with it, after browning the lamb, and removing any excess fat. I do had a stock cube and add worcester sauce too which gives it a slightly different flavour. The potato on the top is always mashed with loads of butter and milk to make it really creamy and obviously browned on top.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boots ->
We are having shepherds pie this evening using some mince from a lamb farmed locally. I don't do a great deal with it, after browning the lamb, and removing any excess fat. I do had a stock cube and add worcester sauce too which gives it a slightly different flavour. The potato on the top is always mashed with loads of butter and milk to make it really creamy and obviously browned on top.

Sounds good Boots. It does all depend on the mince you use

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 04:28 PM

I add grated cheese to the mash as well.

Isn't shepherds pie supposed to be lamb, and cottage pie - beef?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top