Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 01:44 PM

LOL Books

I'm reading another Irish book at the mo, what a gem with tears of laughter rolling down me face.
No one tells a story like the Irish, its a gift - although I do like the Jewish humour too
These are the sort of books I like, biographies and humour
Have you read any that really do make you laugh ?
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Re: LOL Books

Keep laughing, my dear lady. They say its great for the body and it keeps you young. I believe in that philosophy thats why I am an immortal
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 04:25 PM

I used to love books by Deric Longden (about cats) but sadly he has died. I also had tears of laughter, and suffered embarrassment when reading the books on trains to/from work.

Check them out.

Another one is Bill Bryson, his earlier ones.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi;775612[B
]I used to love books by Deric Longden (about cats) [/B]but sadly he has died. I also had tears of laughter, and suffered embarrassment when reading the books on trains to/from work.

Check them out.

Another one is Bill Bryson, his earlier ones.
That really is uncanny Jazzi - I discovered Deric today !
I will be ordering one of his books when I've finished the Irish one - sounds just my cuppa
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
That really is uncanny Jazzi - I discovered Deric today !
I will be ordering one of his books when I've finished the Irish one - sounds just my cuppa
Can't wait to hear what you think!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-12-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Can't wait to hear what you think!
Can't wait to read it and you'll be the first to know x
I will struggle over which one to choose, theres a few of them
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 06:35 PM

I really like Bill Boys on, he always makes me smile. But for real laugh-out-loud reading, Tom Sharpe takes some beating.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 06:36 PM

I still miss Douglas Adams.

My all-time favourites being The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, the book that followed Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - dunno which was the funniest!

Also Tom Sharpe's books, especially Riotous Assembly and Indecent exposure, the South African books featuring the South Efrican Police.

Spike Milligan was a laugh too - my type of humour.

He described Algeria perfectly in one book - carefully cultivated fields of rocks; it's one of the first things you notice out in the sticks!

Must dig out Dirk Gently again.......stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-12-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
I really like Bill Boys on, he always makes me smile. But for real laugh-out-loud reading, Tom Sharpe takes some beating.
Thanks Deb - will check them out

Steve - do you find the humour in books help you through down times - I find them a good tonic
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 07:55 PM

Tick Bite Fever by David Bennun

Tears of laughter. If you've spent a reasonable amount of time in east or Southern Africa as a 'foreigner' you will appreciate this hilarious autobiography

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top