Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 12:02 AM

Dad's army

I have just watched the very start of the show, from the choosing of the cast to the scriptwriters, a good show.
I have the complete set of Dad's army on dvd and really enjoy them, I can watch them again and again.
I wonder if it's because I remember the village Home Guard.

A Bren gun station on the London Rd Farringdon. still there to this day.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 07:17 AM

Re: Dad's army

Oh poo...seeing this thread has made me realise I missed the Dads Army story on BBC2 last night!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Oh poo...seeing this thread has made me realise I missed the Dads Army story on BBC2 last night!
Can you get it on catch up Cass, well worth the watch.
The beeb didn't want to use Dads Army but changed there mind when they saw how much the public liked it.
I don't think a week goes by without an episode being screened.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 10:58 AM

It was great Arfa, I loved Arthur Lowe, he was superb
The casting was so good though ..........
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 12:28 PM

My late father loved Dads army .
I still have his DVD collection .
The cast were all seemed to have interesting stories .
Private Godfrey ( Arthur Ridley ) being a real World War One hero .
And Arthur Lowes life seemed very sad his real life wife didn't even go to his funeral.
Apparently the whole cast were deeply affected by the sudden death of James Beck ( Private Walker ) at such a young age .
A great unforgettable series
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Yes, an excellent series.
The drama-doc last night really brought home the matter of Arthur Lowe's problem with remembering lines, which I had heard about before.

I look forward to the new feature film coming out (on the television - I never patronise the kinema). I hope for great things, though I suspect they will never improve on the original TV series. Brilliant casting, very good acting (although I always thought that Clive Dunne overdid things a bit), and entertaining scripts.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2015, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Can you get it on catch up Cass, well worth the watch.
Just seen that its being repeated on BBC2 at 10,20pm on Christmas day..
Ive set the machine to record it.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

24-12-2015, 09:45 AM

The programme of the start of Dad's army is repeated on Boxing day at 6-20 BBC2, followed by an episode of DA.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2015, 02:58 PM

There is an innocence about it that is very touching.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top