Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Re: What does Brexit mean to you?

I can't quite remember the amount of money we send weekly to the EU , but I'd like to think that money can be reinvested into Britain , Immagine how much better our country would be .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
the ability and freedom for us to once more run our own country the way we want to and for our own benefit.

A reinstatement of our once effective borders such that we can restrict immigration to only those people who will be of a distinct benefit to our country.

The complete reorganisation of the house of lords to become a chamber of elected representatives of the people.

A complete end to all foreign aid until our national health service, along with other services that have suffered over the years, can once again run effectively. Only then should be consider sending money abroad, and even then only to those who are the most in need.

Replacement of our first past the post electoral system with a form of proportional representation.

An ultimatum issued by the government to the bbc to become patently unbiased, especially politically, with the threat of the complete removal of income from tv licences if they fail to comply.

Well, there are half-a-dozen from me with which i am sure many other members will disagree!

Perhaps others have some different ideas. The one that springs most readily to mind is that one particular person here will suggest that we would be better off if we had a permanent labour government!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The ability and freedom for us to once more run our own country the way we want to and for our own benefit.

A reinstatement of our once effective borders such that we can restrict immigration to only those people who will be of a distinct benefit to our country.

The complete reorganisation of the House of Lords to become a chamber of elected representatives of the people.

A complete end to all foreign aid until our national health service, along with other services that have suffered over the years, can once again run effectively. Only then should be consider sending money abroad, and even then only to those who are the most in need.

Replacement of our first past the post electoral system with a form of proportional representation.

An ultimatum issued by the government to the BBC to become patently unbiased, especially politically, with the threat of the complete removal of income from TV licences if they fail to comply.

Well, there are half-a-dozen from me with which I am sure many other members will disagree!

Perhaps others have some different ideas. The one that springs most readily to mind is that one particular person here will suggest that we would be better off if we had a permanent Labour government!
I can get behind those I'd add trimming down the number of MPs we seem to have more than we really need. I think we could halve the number and still do the work needed. Imagine how much that would save.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:06 AM

A spring clean and a chance to change or country with policy's that may balance a better lifestyle for all our citizens. Once again to become a nation that makes what we need, and support research for innovations that are beneficial to us rather than superficial consumerism.

Pull in our horns for a while to get things back on track, and hope for a better form of democracy than exists at this time.

Invest in our infrastructure, and youngsters to give purpose towards a future with hope.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can get behind those I'd add trimming down the number of MPs we seem to have more than we really need. I think we could halve the number and still do the work needed. Imagine how much that would save.
Yes. We have 650 for a population of 60 million.

America has 100 for a population of 250 million.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:43 AM

The biggest revelation since Brexit for me has been the fact that there are a lot of people who want Britain to fail. Comments such as Purwell's, accuse Leavers as somehow being 'nasty' because they democratically voted to try a different system. A childish comment, I know but there are many people with the same view.

We don't really know how it will affect us yet because it's too early but overall I'm hoping for the return of common sense.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-02-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
It means that the Country I grew up in has turned into a nasty place that I do not want to have much to do with anymore.
So in which part of your growing up was the Country a nice place? Thatcher? Blair? Cameron?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes. We have 650 for a population of 60 million.

America has 100 for a population of 250 million.

Oh so wrong!!! - you're comparing the House of Commons with the American Senate. I have no idea how many seats there are in the American House of Representaives, perhaps our American members can tell us, but it is well in excess of 100!!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:50 AM

I guess I`m a pragmatist-I voted remain but I have investments earning dollars and euros-the weakened pound has been good for me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Oh so wrong!!! - you're comparing the House of Commons with the American Senate. I have no idea how many seats there are in the American House of Representaives, perhaps our American members can tell us, but it is well in excess of 100!!!
Yes, as always, you are correct.

The true figure is 435. Compared to our 650!

My point is still made.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top