Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:35 AM

Brexit equals Chlorinated chicken and other nasties

Just heard this on the radio. We are leaving the EU so that we can be free to compromise our food safety standards and eat chlorinated chicken like the US ...

http://news.sky.com/story/liam-fox-o...icken-10959270
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 08:51 AM

Re: Brexit equals Chlorinated chicken and other nasties

It is probably very difficult to buy any food anywhere these days that hasn't undergone some sort of chemical treatment, whether in the fields or in the storage facility. Chlorine washing is just another of those processes and, whilst I agree it sounds unsavoury, millions of people eat this chicken every day without harm. Having said that though, I believe food should always be labelled with the country of origin so personal choice can be employed by the purchaser when selecting the item.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 09:02 AM

It could encourage UK chicken farms to compromise on hygiene and flush their chickens with loo cleaner too. I'm sure it's cheaper than keeping everything clean in production.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 09:11 AM

I can't help feeling they may put them in the shops but it won't make people buy them. It's up to customers to check their produce before buying.

I can remember never buying South African for years, never buying gm now, various other campaigns have meant I have to read labels or ring supermarkets before I shop.

Put the foot work in and make informed decisions.

Beside vegetarianism is on the rise I read somewhere recently.

This may be what it takes to convince some people that veggies are best.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

24-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Being veggie will mean GM crops. The third on the list is hormone fed beef.

If we relax rules it will mean farms here can do this too so there may be no choice. Labelling regulations come from the eu.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Being veggie will mean GM crops. The third on the list is hormone fed beef.

If we relax rules it will mean farms here can do this too so there may be no choice. Labelling regulations come from the eu.
That's scare mongering Annie, we can easily avoid gm foods and if we insist they label them that won't change. Buy local or uk and we can control what we eat.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 09:45 AM

Hi

USA beef cattle are hormone treated to put on weight quicker.

Most if it is raised in concentrated animal feeding operations, they don't get grass.

You will have to read each packet and tin very carefully, most of the chicken and beef will be in pies , tins of meat, ready made stuff.

As we do not allow these things in the UK, we have going to have to change our laws, particularly on animal welfare, for our farmers to compete.

We currently export 115,000 tons of premium beef, grass fed,, , which will stop if we change our laws.

The other big that that stalled the USA/EU Trade deal is that the USA is insisting on access to State Funded Health Schemes, such as the NHS.

Or put another way, enforced privatisation.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 09:57 AM

It is not only chicken, American beef is almost all grain fed, unlike UK that is grass fed.
As I see it grain fed cattle are virtually factory cattle like battery chickens, could be wrong.

They also have less restrictions on hormone and medication of animals that we eat.
Thats without mentioning the use of preservatives being much greater.

My dual citizen daughter can't believe how long her bread and cakes last.

EDIT.....Blimey almost the same info Mr Swim
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Yes reading labels becomes a habit one of the reasons I shop on line, you can see much more easily the ingredients and where it's come from.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Hi

There are rules for labelling.

In the case of meat and some other items, the rules are very clear.

The country of origin is the country where the last substantive change takes place.

15. Concerning what processes result in a substantial change, we suggest
that for example, the transformation of pork into bacon, ham, sausages or pies should be regarded as a treatment or process resulting in a substantial change,while the simple slicing, cutting, mincing and/or packing of meat does not amount to such a change.

These are WTO Rules,which we will be trading under after Brexit, so you will not be able to check what is in pies, sausages, pates, ready meals etc .

As members of the EU we have banned the import of chlorinated meat and those treated with hormones and antibiotics.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top