Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 11:21 PM

The EU checking the power of multinationals

Ok I've been watching some sci fi where multinationals are able to run unethical research unfettered. Totally random but it made me think of the EU and how it checks the power of large organisations to do what they please.

This made me wonder how much the impetus for movements such as brexit is being powered by billion funded multinationals and how their interest is at odds with the power of an alliance such as the EU. For example in Feb this year the EU has been forcing multinationals to be more transparent about tax. So if we become more fragmented into small states then that suits large corporations very well. Who will be there to stop them taking over?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-eu-...-idUKKBN1601DF
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 12:15 AM

Re: The EU checking the power of multinationals

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Who will be there to stop them taking over?
Errrrr, they took over a long time ago Annie . . . . !

Banks, sugar conglomerates, salt conglomerates, big pharma . . .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 08:30 AM

Jeremy will sort em out.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Ok I've been watching some sci fi where multinationals are able to run unethical research unfettered. Totally random but it made me think of the EU and how it checks the power of large organisations to do what they please.

This made me wonder how much the impetus for movements such as brexit is being powered by billion funded multinationals and how their interest is at odds with the power of an alliance such as the EU. For example in Feb this year the EU has been forcing multinationals to be more transparent about tax. So if we become more fragmented into small states then that suits large corporations very well. Who will be there to stop them taking over?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-eu-...-idUKKBN1601DF
Surely, it's t'other way round Annie, the EU positively encourage multi-nationals, after all......The EU is a multi-national....The only reason I can see why the EU would check other multi-nationals is because they want the monopoly on business not just in Europe, but the world......
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Surely, it's t'other way round Annie, the EU positively encourage multi-nationals, after all......The EU is a multi-national....The only reason I can see why the EU would check other multi-nationals is because they want the monopoly on business not just in Europe, but the world......
Not sure i understand how they are a multinational. The eu has collective bargaining power. Individual nations are easy pickings. They have taken google etc to task over breaches have they not.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 08:22 PM

Not sure i understand how they are a multinational. The eu has collective bargaining power. Individual nations are easy pickings. They have taken google etc to task over breaches have they not.
Because they represent and control several countries, 14 to be precise Annie....If they were just a national institution they would only represent one country.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-07-2017, 10:09 PM

Because they represent and control several countries, 14 to be precise Annie....If they were just a national institution they would only represent one country.
I thought you meant multinational in the traditional sense of the word - a multinational corporation, responsible to faceless shareholders and driven by profit.

I don't see the EU in that way because it was founded on principles of peace and unity. Affluence and democracy were a way of avoiding war and creating an environment where progress of humanity was nurtured. It's simply lost its way.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-08-2017, 10:30 AM

I thought you meant multinational in the traditional sense of the word - a multinational corporation, responsible to faceless shareholders and driven by profit.

I don't see the EU in that way because it was founded on principles of peace and unity. Affluence and democracy were a way of avoiding war and creating an environment where progress of humanity was nurtured. It's simply lost its way.
I believe that someone knew what the end result was going to be at it's first inception......'The United States of Europe'........There is even evidence to suggest this.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2017, 10:52 AM

I believe that someone knew what the end result was going to be at it's first inception......'The United States of Europe'........There is even evidence to suggest this.
Of course that was the idea and a good idea at that.
Even this old Warmonger thought it was a good idea: https://europa.eu/european-union/sit...urchill_en.pdf
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-08-2017, 03:36 PM

I believe it was one world government. The idea being that you have peace if the world is united.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top