Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:01 PM

Re: The immigration policies we need won't come from Brexit

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why is it such a con?
Every job they do is a job not done been done by a native Brit.
They are not all skilled professionals so a great number of these jobs will be unskilled.
The con is that the leave campaign quite happily led the electorate to believe that this was the fault of the EU when it has been the fault of successive governments all along. It's really convenient to have a super-motivated workforce from abroad who will work for peanuts doing jobs that make goods cheap in the shops. It's really convenient to import nurses who have already been fully trained instead of paying for nurses to be trained here. It's a total con.

We should have plenty of skilled professionals here, we have the best universities in the world and the biggest companies in the world. But people seem to have better training opportunities abroad.

We should have plenty of unskilled workers too. Or should I say unskilled shirkers because the attitude of some born here is that work is a job done by someone else and turning up is all you have to do to get paid. I doubt that will change after we leave the EU.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
That is a free for all, our minimum wage and tax free allowances make it a no brainer for the Southern and Eastern EU youngsters.
There are lots of Spanish around suddenly. I hear the language all the time where once it was East European. Has the Spanish economy nosedived?

There are no longer any Antipodeans because the new tax rules make it not worth their while.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:25 PM

You are right only yesterday I was listening to a Spanish family in the supermarket and I have been talking to several who work over here .
There is major unemployment in Spain something like 45% of course it's not so noticeable in the Costas where the economy is boosted by expatriot and tourist spending .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-08-2017, 10:29 PM

I've noticed entire Spanish families seem to be moving over here. I don't get the impression that these are tourists. Perhaps they are moving because they hope that EU nationals will get to stay post a cut off.

Spain, Italy & Greece should never have been pushed to join to Euro. They had ok economies before that, not perfect but ticking along. I strongly disagreed with what the EU did with the Euro and we were so wise to refuse to join.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:36 PM

I really don't know what keeps their economies going and how they can sustain the massive influx of refugees arriving ( in the case of Italy and Greece) on a daily basis . Spain also has large amounts of immigrants coming in from North Africa they can be competition to the Spanish for employment .
Unlike here those on benefits do community work and this stands them in good stead when a job becomes available .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:39 PM

If it was successive governments and I'm not saying it wasn't, the only way to actually sort that out was to come out of the Eu IMO

Many times I've contacted my MP his standard answer was not my fault, responsibility, nothing I can do because it's all down to the eu. Only way I can make that man take anything seriously is to be out of the eu so he has no excuse and has to take some responsibility !

All things I want out of this world can only happen outside the Eu. Inside it we are doomed to carry on as normal.

And unless anyone can prove to me in ten or twenty years time the eu is going to be a fabulous thing I won't be moved on that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-08-2017, 10:42 PM

It's not going to sort it because they will be blaming brexit for all their failings for the next 20 years.

At the end of the day, if the problem is too big there is simply no accountability in the state sector. Nobody wants to be responsible for sorting out a shambles. So the shambles stays and is ignored. That's the way this country works unfortunately and I cannot see it changing in my lifetime.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Not if we hold them to account.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-08-2017, 10:44 PM

sorry edited. But no it won't happen because the excuse will be brexit and "bumpy ride"
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

23-08-2017, 10:48 PM

So I see

But I have more faith that we can sort it out. We need to vote more carefully and make our governments work for us. We need to work hard make things better.

I want a more caring less money obsessed country, that may not happen in my life time but it's worth working towards for next generation.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top