Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 07:51 PM

Re: Branson-Brexit="worst thing that's happened to Britain in my lifetime".

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Poor thing!

One 'plus' overrides all the 'minuses' in my opinion: the restoration of our sovereignty.

We have been a sovereign nation since 1066 and if we remain in the EU it is more than likely that we shall soon lose our position as an independent nation. All the signs are there: the Euro, the EU Army, the ECJ, etc.

It worries me that, after all this time, we should become just another region within a European superstate that some have been calling 'The Fourth Reich' on the grounds that the perception is that Germany would, in effect, be in complete control. That almost happened twice in the last century, and many believe that this is just a third attempt.
Exactly all some think about is money but there is a fundamental thing we want and if it costs money then so be it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:16 PM

Of course it's impossible to start a discussion including Branson without it going off on a tangent about his media personality. But my concern is that this is a home-grown entrepreneur employing thousands saying his businesses are losing a great deal of money because of Brexit. His companies were valued at £5 billion. He is not someone to put in a group with media personalities or celebrities.

We should be very concerned if businesses based in the UK are losing money because of Brexit. Yesterday's FT Weekend carried the front page headline "Britain Sinks to bottom of G7 growth table" "Pound drops on weaker GDP data". So we have dropped from the top to the bottom of the G7 league table since the vote.

Anyone who is not concerned doesn't understand that the way our economy works is highly dependent on growth and investment by companies who see us as a good place to do business. There is no incentive if we are seen as a dead-duck economy. UK growth is now below Japan, the US, Germany, France, Italy and Canada. We rely on this growth to keep everything here functioning.

So I ask you - what is the point of doing something that is going to make us a third rate economy with medium term contraction of all our public funded services which we will be unable to afford (that includes benefits and pensions).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:19 PM

For those who don't mind paying - perhaps Brexit voters should be financially compensating those who didn't vote for this?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:23 PM

And many businesses are growing, some saying brexit causes them problems were in trouble and looking for a scapegoat. I don't believe half of them.

And what makes it all worth it is we are then free to build the country we want, do you think Spain wouldn't like this chance ? They've been almost destroyed. Should we wait to be next ? Do we want to fund this unelected body anymore ? I think our kids will thank us eventually.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Of course it's impossible to start a discussion including Branson without it going off on a tangent about his media personality. But my concern is that this is a home-grown entrepreneur employing thousands saying his businesses are losing a great deal of money because of Brexit. His companies were valued at £5 billion. He is not someone to put in a group with media personalities or celebrities.

We should be very concerned if businesses based in the UK are losing money because of Brexit. Yesterday's FT Weekend carried the front page headline "Britain Sinks to bottom of G7 growth table" "Pound drops on weaker GDP data". So we have dropped from the top to the bottom of the G7 league table since the vote.

Anyone who is not concerned doesn't understand that the way our economy works is highly dependent on growth and investment by companies who see us as a good place to do business. There is no incentive if we are seen as a dead-duck economy. UK growth is now below Japan, the US, Germany, France, Italy and Canada. We rely on this growth to keep everything here functioning.

So I ask you - what is the point of doing something that is going to make us a third rate economy with medium term contraction of all our public funded services which we will be unable to afford (that includes benefits and pensions).
I'd rather be a member of a 'third rate economy' than be a region subservient to a new dictator-ruled empire.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:30 PM

For those who don't mind paying - perhaps Brexit voters should be financially compensating those who didn't vote for this?
Let's look at this suggestion in a different way.

If the Loony Party should be voted into government in the future, would we who didn't vote for them be compensated for our inevitable financial losses?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:32 PM

Dear dear Annie - more sour grapes?
It was a democratic vote - remainers lost - suck it up!....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd rather be a member of a 'third rate economy' than be a region subservient to a new dictator-ruled empire.
It seems you don't realise what being a member of a third rate economy means for ordinary Brits trying to make ends meet. Or perhaps you simply don't care about how much they will struggle. Otherwise you wouldn't be so quick to embrace the destruction of our way of life. Because that's what being a third rate economy will do.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-10-2017, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Dear dear Annie - more sour grapes?
It was a democratic vote - remainers lost - suck it up!....
Not at all Fender and "suck it up" is a very worn out & irrelevant term now that we are facing a very real economic mess.

It's not "undemocratic" to criticise a poor decision for the future of the country. It's very much what democracy is about.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
And many businesses are growing, some saying brexit causes them problems were in trouble and looking for a scapegoat. I don't believe half of them.

And what makes it all worth it is we are then free to build the country we want, do you think Spain wouldn't like this chance ? They've been almost destroyed. Should we wait to be next ? Do we want to fund this unelected body anymore ? I think our kids will thank us eventually.
Totally agree Julie......

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top