Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 08:16 AM

Re: David Davis resigns?

Theresa May is no more for leaving Europe than I am of having designs on being the next pope.She is hoping to be brought down,leaving the wreckage for others.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 08:49 AM

Good for David Davis! at least he is a man of principle. I guess after being chosen to lead negotiations on behalf of the government, it must obviously have stuck in his craw that Mrs May has constantly undermined him and allowed Ollie Robbins,a mere civil servant and committed remainer, to take over. One would have thought she would have learned her lesson with the fiasco with Fiona Hill and Nick Timothy.

At least we know that Theresa May has finally come out and shown her true colours. She has always wanted a soft Brexit, leaving the EU but forever tied to its rules and regulations without having any say. She has allowed just 12% of UK big business with vested interests to dictate how Brexit should be and this is the result.

I truly think May is finished. She has betrayed 17.4 million people who trusted her manifesto promise to bring us out of the Customs Union, the Single Market and the ECJ. She has failed. Time for her to go.

And take Michael Gove with her too, Opportunist and Self-serving is too kind a word for the apparent way he has gone over to the remain side.

David Davis, Jacob Rees-Mogg or even Nigel for Prime Minister! If as I have read, Nigel is returning and is putting a candidate in every constituency in the event of a General Election, Don't be surprised if 17.4 million betrayed voters will know where to put their cross if a General Election is called after a vote of no confidence against Theresa May.

We have to elect someone with the balls to tell Barnier to go to hell with his bullying, and let's do what the British voted for and get the hell out of the EU. We will deal with the outcome regardless but we have to leave 100% as we voted. The sooner we have someone running this country that is capable of understanding the meaning of the word democracy, the better!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 08:55 AM

I think Davis had no choice, he has been working painstakingly on a white paper for our EU departure and May has sidelined him and presented her own which she had discussed with Merkle and others.
Davis clearly felt in all conscience he could not put his name to something in which he did not believe and would be partially responsible for implementing. I admire him for that and realise it must have been a painful decision for him to make.
Davis has made it clear that although he was the chief negotiator the person in overall charge of the arrangments is May and she has the final say.

May is trying hard to be 'all things to all people' and in very difficult position herself because that is not possible.

I don't envy anyone the position of trying to extricate us from the EU, it was always going to be an almost impossible task with so much opposition from all sides. Some people will never accept the decision to leave and continue to thwart any attempt .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Good for David Davis! at least he is a man of principle. I guess after being chosen to lead negotiations on behalf of the government, it must obviously have stuck in his craw that Mrs May has constantly undermined him and allowed Ollie Robbins,a mere civil servant and committed remainer, to take over. One would have thought she would have learned her lesson with the fiasco with Fiona Hill and Nick Timothy.

At least we know that Theresa May has finally come out and shown her true colours. She has always wanted a soft Brexit, leaving the EU but forever tied to its rules and regulations without having any say. She has allowed just 12% of UK big business with vested interests to dictate how Brexit should be and this is the result.

I truly think May is finished. She has betrayed 17.4 million people who trusted her manifesto promise to bring us out of the Customs Union, the Single Market and the ECJ. She has failed. Time for her to go.

And take Michael Gove with her too, Opportunist and Self-serving is too kind a word for the apparent way he has gone over to the remain side.

David Davis, Jacob Rees-Mogg or even Nigel for Prime Minister! If as I have read, Nigel is returning and is putting a candidate in every constituency in the event of a General Election, Don't be surprised if 17.4 million betrayed voters will know where to put their cross if a General Election is called after a vote of no confidence against Theresa May.

We have to elect someone with the balls to tell Barnier to go to hell with his bullying, and let's do what the British voted for and get the hell out of the EU. We will deal with the outcome regardless but we have to leave 100% as we voted. The sooner we have someone running this country that is capable of understanding the meaning of the word democracy, the better!
Good post SG...I totally agree
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Good post SG...I totally agree
I won't copy in SG's excellent post again, but will say that I too completely agree with her.

I refuse to discuss the matter with those people here who would rather we stayed in the EU: there is no point. I am quite happy to state my own opinion, though, on to which the remainiacs will attempt to pour scorn!

I do think that May has been a disaster from start to finish. She called a general election when she was in a strong position and immediately lost her majority.

After much dithering and making false promises, she has made it quite clear that she does not respect a clear democratic decision to leave the EU outright, as offered by her predecessor.

She has put together a Cabinet composed of a majority of fellow remainers and attempted to bully the rest into agreeing to her soft Brexit proposals, leading the one member who had the balls to do so to resign.

All of this has resulted in people in the general public to lose any trust they had in her and to question whether there is now any purpose in voting when their vote is ignored.

As a consequence, I am now sure that the only thing she has succeeded in is losing the Conservative Party many votes to the extent that they will be quite likely to lose the next GE.

I repeat, she has been a complete disaster.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 10:32 AM

Dominic Raab takes over Davis job.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Dominic Raab takes over Davis job.
Presumably another 'yes man'.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Presumably another 'yes man'.
Dominic Raab is an ardent 'vote leave' MP so that's a good start.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-07-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Dominic Raab is an ardent 'vote leave' MP so that's a good start.
Well, we shall see.

I have the distinct feeling that he'll be so grateful for the promotion that he'll agree to May's so-called 'deal' whatever his published opinions.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Get Farage in charge of it. Politics needs a bit of fun and games.
Wholeheartedly agree with the above statement, present government are like a ship without a rudder going no *******
where.
Get Farage in there he'll kick some arse.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top