Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 08:28 AM

Re: Do you like listening to

I had a workman here this week sorting broken fence in garden I took him a cuppa and he started to chat , he is a lovely ole feller , well he chatted and chatted and I tried to take a few steps away but he chatted and chatted until I was just watching his mouth move and wasnt hearing the words, my legs started to hurt and I wanted my cuppa too . Eventually I smiled and ended his conversation . I never knew what he was chatting about in the end. However he did a good job of the fence and it didnt cost any more than the quote.

Non the less he was a lovely ole feller.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I don't really want to listen to someone telling a story, then finding out it happened in 1974! Or someone who never gets to the point, because there is always a backstory "just to give it some context"

I suppose it depends on the story-teller themselves really.

My feelings/thoughts exactly.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I had a workman here this week sorting broken fence in garden I took him a cuppa and he started to chat , he is a lovely ole feller , well he chatted and chatted and I tried to take a few steps away but he chatted and chatted until I was just watching his mouth move and wasnt hearing the words, my legs started to hurt and I wanted my cuppa too . Eventually I smiled and ended his conversation . I never knew what he was chatting about in the end. However he did a good job of the fence and it didnt cost any more than the quote.

That made me chuckle, Susan.....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 08:36 AM

I don't really want to listen to someone telling a story, then finding out it happened in 1974! Or someone who never gets to the point, because there is always a backstory "just to give it some context"

I know what you mean.

I can be like that...I like to draw it out,...especially with my son.....he can’t stand me doing that...

I always get to the end of the story though......eventually..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

05-07-2021, 08:37 AM

It’s called “ keeping them engaged “....I’ve never mastered that.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 08:39 AM

Can l just state, l was absolutely not referring to anyone on this forum.
I was talking about in real life, mainly when l worked as a hairdresser.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

05-07-2021, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Can l just state, l was absolutely not referring to anyone on this forum.
I was talking about in real life, mainly when l worked as a hairdresser.
Ok Art...just a misunderstanding I would say.

No big deal.

It can be misinterpreted ,because you never stipulated it was in real life, that’s all...
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 09:02 AM

My thoughts exactly Pixie. My mum was a bit like that, she determinedly told her story, with lots of embellishments, and would take ages getting to the point which, more often than not, was a complete anti-climax. Along the lines of "You'll never guess who I saw today!!" Followed by where she was, who she was with, what she was doing at the exact point she saw this person-who-shall-not-be-named-until-the-bitter-end. And on it went, while I was inwardly screaming "just tell me who it was!!!"

Originally Posted by susan m ->

Oh lord, haven't we all know people like that, so difficult to get away from, but such nice people that we don't want to offend them
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

05-07-2021, 09:04 AM

I think sometimes, we can be in a conversation with someone, but not always listening to everything that is being said.

I have noticed since getting older, that I have to ask my son to slow down, because he talks so quickly.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

05-07-2021, 10:19 AM

I’m interested in history and genealogy so I love listening to people’s stories about their family history especially if I can use anything they tell in my writing about the area welive in.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top