Join for free
Page 61 of 79 « First < 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 11:59 AM

Re: Murder by Police - George Floyd

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The Wild West.
Like I said JB, for some it hasn't developed.....Ye Ha!..
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think american gun laws stemmed from long ago before an
effective law enforsement force was established OGF and the
citizens had to bear arms to protect themselves!!

Unfortunately they failed to reform these laws as society developed?
It seems to be too late now

Donkeyman! 👎🤔👎
I can't let those anti-American posts stand without a reply.

Why beat around the bush? The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (1776) was established following The Revolutionary War against British tyranny.

The people of America needed to protect themselves from any future invasions by England. The Minutemen were established, so named because they could "within a single minute" pickup their arms and rush to the aid of their fellow countrymen.

The 2nd Amendment: "A well regulated militia , being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms , shall not be infringed".

That my friends, is the law of the land. It has stood us in good stead, for the British did indeed invade us again in 1812. Even though the British managed to invade Washington D.C., and burn the White House to the ground , the minute men fought alongside the American Army, both on the east coast and on the plains near New Orleans and roundly defeated the British and sent them packing, once again.

Americans have long since forgiven, but we have never forgotten. Nor will we ever forget.

The origins of American gun laws has it's roots deeply embedded in The Revolutionary War.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Why beat around the bush? The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (1776) was established following The Revolutionary War with the British.

The people of America needed to protect themselves from any future invasions by England. The Minutemen were established, so named because they could "within a single minute" pickup their arms and rush to the aid of their fellow countrymen.

The 2nd Amendment: "A well regulated militia , being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms , shall not be infringed".

That my friends, is the law of the land. It has stood us in good stead, for the British did indeed invade us again in 1812. Even though the British managed to invade Washington D.C., and burn the White House to the ground , the minute men fought alongside the American Army, both on the east coast and on the plains near New Orleans and roundly defeated the British and sent them, once again, packing.
So what? That was hundreds of years ago! In Europe, especially in the case of England continued to progress civilisation whereas in the case of America it didn't happen.

Funny thing, the first thing that struck me the first time I flew over America was what a god awful mess had been made of a pristine country for such little technical or social gain.

On the other hand Canada was so little despoiled and certainly the social gain has been substantial.

Another thing that never ceases to amaze me is the combination of arrogance intertwined with ignorance that leads most of the Americans that I have encountered, and there has been a great many, firmly believing that The America Way is the best way.

Well guess what. It's NOT. It might be best for Americans though that is very questionable as is becoming obvious but it's not for other countries yet the American government be it red or blue persists in sticking it's nose where it is not wanted, needed, and absolutely no right to be.

I'm glad to see America now well on the way to be on its way to being usurped from its self appointed leader of the free world especially when under American hegemony upheld by military power and a financial power that came about by a deliberate reneging on a PROMISE made during the Bretton Woods conference resulted in anything but a free world. Then other sleight of hand such as the repeal of the Glass Steagall act and it's replacement with the useless Gramm-Leach-Bliley act that Clinton signed into law.

It was that which resulted in American bankers GREED that was the root cause of the world financial crisis.

FWIW I was introduced to Clinton on two separate occasions. He had dead eyes constantly shifting and avoiding eye to eye contact. He gave me the horrors.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 12:34 PM

It’s a pity that Canadians tend to be rather smug and pleased with themselves tho
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It’s a pity that Canadians tend to be rather smug and pleased with themselves tho
Not being American whilst having to be so close to the place would be inclined to cause that!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Well, to be honest, they have plenty to be pleased and smug about.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 01:21 PM

Have they ?
I have never been to Canada not really into cold countries .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Like I said JB, for some it hasn't developed.....Ye Ha!..
True. Some are less civilised than others!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Another thing that never ceases to amaze me is the combination of arrogance intertwined with ignorance that leads most of the Americans that I have encountered, and there has been a great many, firmly believing that The America Way is the best way.
I may have mentioned before that I have relatives in America although, in fairness, I should mention that the American grandmother (still alive) married an Englishman (now dead) which is where our family connection comes from. The next three generations, with whom we communicate, are thus half American and half English via their antecedents, which makes them really quite civilised!

Anyway, I digress.

Some years ago both Marge and I went to work in Saudi Arabia (not for the money, I assure you!), she working in a British hospital in Riyadh and I in an American hospital in the same city.

In my experience, the American way of doing things in that environment tended to be far more based on pre-written procedures from which one found it difficult to stray, whereas the British way was far more flexible and permitted its professionals to utilise their own knowledge and experience to make decisions.

Despite that, the Americans assured us that they knew far better than us inferior nationalities (they were of various nationalities as well as American)!

Not too long afterwards, I resigned and returned to the UK, somehow managed to lose my current passport and obtained a replacement, and was then invited to work at the British-run hospital!

Personally, I was pleased to be able to work and live with my wife but also I couldn't bear working any longer with the Americans with their 'superiority complexes'!

Perhaps just an isolated example of American organisations but, in my experience, overall they are far less professionally developed than our British equivalents.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I may have mentioned before that I have relatives in America although, in fairness, I should mention that the American grandmother (still alive) married an Englishman (now dead) which is where our family connection comes from. The next three generations, with whom we communicate, are thus half American and half English via their antecedents, which makes them really quite civilised!

Anyway, I digress.

Some years ago both Marge and I went to work in Saudi Arabia (not for the money, I assure you!), she working in a British hospital in Riyadh and I in an American hospital in the same city.

In my experience, the American way of doing things in that environment tended to be far more based on pre-written procedures from which one found it difficult to stray, whereas the British way was far more flexible and permitted its professionals to utilise their own knowledge and experience to make decisions.

Despite that, the Americans assured us that they knew far better than us inferior nationalities (they were of various nationalities as well as American)!

Not too long afterwards, I resigned and returned to the UK, somehow managed to lose my current passport and obtained a replacement, and was then invited to work at the British-run hospital!

Personally, I was pleased to be able to work and live with my wife but also I couldn't bear working any longer with the Americans with their 'superiority complexes'!

Perhaps just an isolated example of American organisations but, in my experience, overall they are far less professionally developed than our British equivalents.
What has this to do with police murdering people ? I get it that it is an anti-American rant, but you are wandering far afield.

Page 61 of 79 « First < 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top