Join for free
Page 28 of 274 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 12:16 AM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Okay then. I’ve just watched The Untouchables on DVD, drank a quartet of delicious blonde real ales so we might as well continue....

No.869: "The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees" by The Monkees (1968)

While we were talking last night on here about the song Valerie (a different featured version by Steve Winwood though), The Monkees' own 'Valleri' was mentioned again. It's quite uncanny that the parent album is next in my list.
An record full of summery pop songs, I thought it only right that I feature another track which was brought up 'Tapioca Tundra', to go with that single. My original choice was of course 'Daydream Believer', so what the hell - let's have a triple-tracker!

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 12:23 AM

No.868: "Only By The Night" by Kings Of Leon (2008)

Hard to believe that this album is ten years ago now. Includes the singles 'Use Somebody' and the track which propelled the band into the big time, Sex On Fire:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-01-2018, 12:29 AM

No.867: "Let There Be Rock" by AC/DC (1977)

This album cemented the Young brothers as purveyors of true, genuine hard rock, soon to be one of the genre's biggest and most successful acts not only in metal but of any type of music. Gotta play this title track with the late, great Bon Scott at his best.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-01-2018, 12:34 AM

No.866: Devils & Dust" by Bruce Springsteen (2005)

My all-time favourite American artist with his lowest placed album in my list. It's a very good record, but not, for me, up there with his classic stuff. All the same, it's full of thought-provoking lyrics and acoustic, understated music. In a similar vein his earlier similar album, Nebraska, features higher up the chart.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-01-2018, 12:43 AM

No.865: "The Works" by Queen (1984)

What can you say about Queen? Well whether you like them or not, they were and are one of THE greatest bands ever. Period. For me, they tend to annoy after a while as they are severely overplayed on the radio, but that I guess is a testament to their enduring popularity. They did wane for a short while in the early 80's, but this album and then of course Live Aid, made them a massive world domination force.
The Works features Radio Ga Ga, the enormously tedious I Want To Break Free and this, probably my favourite track on the album, Hammer To Fall.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-01-2018, 12:57 AM

No.864: "Tales From Topographic Oceans" by Yes (1973)

If you wanted your record sleeve to have the best artwork in the business in the 1970's you would call Roger Dean. His paintings for Yes are legendary and none more so beautiful than for this album.
The album itself had very mixed reviews as it features just four tracks with running times of 20 minutes each over four sides of vinyl. Vocalist Jon Anderson really went to town with his lyrics on this and who knows if it actually means anything coherent or is it just a load of mumbo jumbo? We may never know. Keyboardist Rick Wakeman soon became tires of all this and set off wind-up dinosaurs to walk around the live stage appearances and once famously ate a curry during his piano parts.
Whatever this album eventually means though is that it's probably a work of art, both in sound and in vision. Don't we miss these glorious sleeves?

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-01-2018, 01:03 AM

I'll leave those with you until the morning (if time allows). Quiet in here tonight!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
No.872: "Tangerine Dream" by Kaleidoscope (1967)

Quaint flowery sun children with a very pleasantly tranquil release slap band in the middle of the peace and love era.

We seem to connect on about 10% of your collection this being one of themj, good band that did not quite make it big

Also good is the next album Faintly Blowing, and i did succomb when in 1991 they released White Faced Lady written in the 70`s it was a rock opera akin to SF Sorrow by the Pretty Things, and was released at the wrong time for me.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-01-2018, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
We seem to connect on about 10% of your collection this being one of themj, good band that did not quite make it big

Also good is the next album Faintly Blowing, and i did succomb when in 1991 they released White Faced Lady written in the 70`s it was a rock opera akin to SF Sorrow by the Pretty Things, and was released at the wrong time for me.
Only 10% Matey? Aw, each to...etc. I'm just happy that you are enjoying what you see
There's another band called Kaleidoscope incidentally from the US who are reallypsychedelic out there mind blowing malarkey! Check them out...here's a vid:

Absolutely love S.F. Sorrow. A very underrated band the Pretty Things. Got some later on.
Always great to chat with you in here mate.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 09:31 PM

Some good choices mate - fair play.

I have only 3 albums which I can listen to right through tbh. Most, always have some tracks I dislike and I will skip through.

Floyd - Animals. My fave album ever. I can put on my headphones, lay on the sofa and melt into another world with that.
A close second is Dark side of the moon, and third - Ziggy Stardust.

Page 28 of 274 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top