Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 07:22 PM

My first Vegan dish!

Ok, first off I haven't yet decided on becoming a vegan! If I can do it without it causing problems for my health (as I already have quite a restricted diet) I most probably will but anyway here's my first vegan dish although I cheated! I used half a sml jar of M&S Tagine paste, which is usually used for a Moroccan lamb steaks dish.

I couldn't get any wholemeal cous cous so only had a little (as I love the taste!) but had some wholemeal rice to fill up the plate.

It's meant to be made with lamb steaks, but I substituted the lamb with diced turnips

How to

Fry some diced turnips in coconut oil, then when almost done add some onions, then a little crushed garlic. Then while frying that de-skin 4 large tomatoes but before adding them put two spoons of M&S tagine paste into the frying pan - fry for a little while to let the spices get to work then added the toms. Add some water then another spoon of tagine paste. Bring to boil and then lower heat to simmer for an hour - stirring every 15 minutes. It should be a nice thick consistency and the turnips should be fully cooked. Oh I forgot I added some chopped butternutt squash at the onion stage.

Serve with cous cous (or rice) but use wholemeal as it's much better for you. I added some chopped radish too - but not necessary.

It tasted nice, and as I only used half the tagine paste it wasn't too hot... just right for me
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Re: My first Vegan dish!

I could never be a vegan let alone a veggie-
I like meat too much.

But that`s me. Good luck to you as you learn this wonderful game called cooking. Now tagine?-preserved lemons add a certain something--and tamarind paste is worth trying??
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 08:04 PM

but I substituted the lamb with diced turnips

Ermmm thats where it all goes dreadfully wrong for me lol but good luck with it!!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Ermmm thats where it all goes dreadfully wrong for me lol but good luck with it!!

Good point-turnips are nice but in this case aubergine might be a better choice??
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 09:55 PM

I'm glad you tried and enjoyed it, Azz. Keep on experimenting.

I could never give up ham, bacon, Italian meatballs, chicken, etc ......
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2010, 11:42 PM

We'd have teeth like bunnies, not cutting & grinding ones if we weren't meant to eat meat!!!

I do appreciate your reasons though Azz & I apologise in advance for my silliness but TURNIPS??? I ask you heheheh!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 08:53 AM

I don't think we were meant to be vegan either; I think it is too restrictive.
The vegetarian peoples of SE Asia are wonderfully healthy, avoiding meat without giving up on animal products.

I sound judgemental if I say that imo you are a wee bitty obsessive about your diet Azz. Nowt to do with me really ... but you raised the subject and I am just responding. Good, sensible diet is a good lifestyle choice - but where it starts impinging on 'normal' life maybe it needs reigning in?
Your life; your choice - but I think food is one of life's great pleasures and one that can last, undiminished until our final day - such a shame to dim it
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Most of the misconceptions people have about diet are drummed into them by the food industry. "Milk is the best source of calcium", "You need meat for protein" (both of which are actually inaccurate) etc.

Our bodies are actually more geared towards a plant based diet than a meat one. Yes we can eat meat - but it's harder for our bodies to digest. (Our) Digestive systems, are more like herbivores than carnivores. You don't need meat for protein. Study after study has shown that veggies don't lack protein at all - they get it from veg/beans/nuts etc. Milk actually contains a poor form of calcium, which is harder for our bodies to use than the calcium found in vegetables. Again, study after study has shown veggies who stay of diary do not have a deficiency in calcium.

The meat you buy - almost certainly contains one of if not all of the following, routine antibiotics/steroids/growth hormones. The food that they're fed doesn't have the same pesticide restrictions as for human consumption either - so add a list of carcinogenic chemicals to that list.

The diary products you eat/drink contain milk from cows given hormones to make them produce 25 times more milk than they natural would. Their udders get infected and that pus goes in the milk. They get infections and ecoli and that ends up in the milk. That's why they have to pasteurise it - but you're still drinking that filth. Organic? How can you ever tell it is truly organic. Wasn't there a few under cover stories last year where non-organic food was being sold as organic? (Although given the choice I'd rather take my chances with non-organic veg than meat!)

In almost every study that has been done - people who refrain from eating meat products have significantly less cases of heart-disease, cancer, diabetes etc

And why am I obsessive? Because I care about my health/what I eat and the welfare of animals? In that case I wish there was more people like me around

Ps sorry if this sounds like a lecture! It's not meant to be - as well as caring about my health and the welfare of animals, I care about you guys too
Cassie
West Wales

31-01-2010, 06:44 PM

Ooooh get you lol Whats with the meat eaters teeth then? or are you having sheep dentures fitted? lol
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 07:06 PM

Azz, glad you are trying new things. Find me a veggie that tastes like chicken and I will give it a try.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top