Join for free
Page 518 of 1676 « First < 18 418 468 508 516 517 518 519 520 528 568 618 1018 1518 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 10:16 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Watching the snow chaos on TV got me thinking about how unsuitable today's vehicles are. I learnt to drive in an old crash box Jowett with an equally old masochistic driving instructor. If you stalled, you got out and you hand cranked like hell till the engine started, even if it broke your arm or knocked you off your feet.

Being of a dainty build, the idea of me pushing a heavy, solid as a rock Jowett and actually moving it was unthinkable which brings me to today's vehicle problems. The materials now used are too lightweight to be of much use in snow or ice.

Lot to be said for those heavy built vehicles that just coped with bad weather and carried on regardless.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 11:12 AM

I admit I was wrong. There is no way that those bottoms can be measured by British Standard Handfuls, even if you have hands the size of shovels.

They most definitely need to be measured using units of bowls. In the instance of the two ladies depicted, I would suggest industrial mixing bowls.
I think they could make a fortune using their bottoms as moulds for the same devices.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Watching the snow chaos on TV got me thinking about how unsuitable today's vehicles are. I learnt to drive in an old crash box Jowett with an equally old masochistic driving instructor. If you stalled, you got out and you hand cranked like hell till the engine started, even if it broke your arm or knocked you off your feet.

Being of a dainty build, the idea of me pushing a heavy, solid as a rock Jowett and actually moving it was unthinkable which brings me to today's vehicle problems. The materials now used are too lightweight to be of much use in snow or ice.

Lot to be said for those heavy built vehicles that just coped with bad weather and carried on regardless.

How true. Now for a subject that could be classified as low fruiting branches

FGS why do the weather bods on tv refer to PRECIPITATION when they mean SNOW
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->

FGS why do the weather bods on tv refer to PRECIPITATION when they mean SNOW
It's apparently all to do with those precipitating microbububbles Rj. Weather has gone the same way as those coffee ads that use fancy sounding names for those who just want a coffee.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 01:24 PM

aw cum on there guys lay off the heavy hand on those weather reporters - 1. it can be a very boring job talking about a subject that will cause so much angst 2. they will never get it right for everyone - and 3 just saying sunny/wet/raining/snowing etc can be boring too so a few fancy words shows they may have been to university even!!
solo
UK

28-02-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
aw cum on there guys lay off the heavy hand on those weather reporters - 1. it can be a very boring job talking about a subject that will cause so much angst 2. they will never get it right for everyone - and 3 just saying sunny/wet/raining/snowing etc can be boring too so a few fancy words shows they may have been to university even!!
What about thems that never went to Uni nor them that have never heard of those precipitating thingies

'P*****g it down' or 'Colder than a witches teat' for example are understood well enough and are far more interesting to watch to see if they can be read out with a straight face .
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 03:25 PM

... and what's all this about me Aunty cycling over East Anglia? She can no more ride a bike than I can give birth, and she's never even been to that part of the country.
.. and troughs. Whul we aaavum dewn on thik varm, but up in the skoy? Nah, er bain't be happening by here.
solo
UK

28-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
... and what's all this about me Aunty cycling over East Anglia? She can no more ride a bike than I can give birth, and she's never even been to that part of the country.
.. and troughs. Whul we aaavum dewn on thik varm, but up in the skoy? Nah, er bain't be happening by here.

I am with you on this peaks and trough stuff. How very dare they mither us with that nonsense . I am all for avin the weather read in local dialect so we can understand it and begger the rest of the country. They have their own weather to be bothered about never mind our bit

Doesn't a newsreader telling you "Thas gunna be a reet pea souper afore dark so best put feet up an stay ome cosy and warm our kid" sound much better than that precipitating mularky.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

28-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
I am with you on this peaks and trough stuff. How very dare they mither us with that nonsense . I am all for avin the weather read in local dialect so we can understand it and begger the rest of the country. They have their own weather to be bothered about never mind our bit

Doesn't a newsreader telling you "Thas gunna be a reet pea souper afore dark so best put feet up an stay ome cosy and warm our kid" sound much better than that precipitating mularky.
Whul ah. Thass wot I were used to when I lived in the shire of York, an dewn yer in thik Wess Cunry us aaaz a diffrunt whey o zpeakin, zo us should aave our whether zpoke too uz in thik zame accun az wot we do be zpeaking oorzeles, theess-know.

... and how dare auto carrot change theess to these or theses. Erz not Wurzel zpeak iz er?
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 04:42 PM

Not ONLY that...but the pots of yoghurt I bought have the 'h' missing!
When I looked at the other brands....they ALL have the 'h' missing!
Suddenly 'Yoe-gert' [as those demned colonials pronounce it] has lost it's identity!
Damnit-before you know it,we'll all be saying "Contro-versy"!!!!!

HARRUMPH!

Page 518 of 1676 « First < 18 418 468 508 516 517 518 519 520 528 568 618 1018 1518 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top