Join for free
Page 520 of 1676 « First < 20 420 470 510 518 519 520 521 522 530 570 620 1020 1520 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Some interesting sharing there about snow and petrol shortage but it was the Great British Sugar Shortage that almost brought this country to it's knees. Imagine your morning cuppa without a spoonful of Tate & Lyles

It didn't affect me as I was enjoying a very sweet continental drift but on hearing how sugar was off the menu for family and friends because of our good housewives panic buying habits I legged it down to our local friendly BX knowing full well if they stocked Camels they would stock sugar. And they did. So packing the car up to roof without realising how heavy sugar is I took off down the Autobahn and headed for home.

Our rightly maligned Customs Officers seeing how my car was down on its axle insisted on seeing what I was trying to smuggle in. I thought better of offering to sugar their tea and as usual let them find out for themselves.

The highlight of that trip was to watch the look on their faces as they uncovered box after box of the white stuff. Priceless.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 10:55 AM

I too remember the fuel shortages in the '70s, along with the hike in price, 50 mph speed limit, and three day week.
I was at college in my home town of Swindon at the time. We gave up free periods, severely reduced the lunch break, and by various other methods managed to cram five days worth of lectures into three.
I much preferred it that way.

I shared my learnin' between apprenticin' at a large manufactory just norf of Brizzle, and book leanin' at collage for six months of the year.
Steeleye Span was introduced to me at the same time. I even went to see them live in Brizzle.

This is the song that first got me interested in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n01T7ejqKWk
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:47 PM

What with this red alert thing in place I thought I wouldn't be able to open the back door this morning with all the snow we were to have, this is all we got so far, thank God for that, everything is closed down here, lord help us if we lived in Siberia.
If you want to keep warm during this icy spell follow Harry Belafonte’s advice ladies, not only does it keep you warm it also shakes off any snow you may have accumulated whilst outdoors, you know, like a dog shaking off water.

Shake, shake, shake, Senora,
Shake your body line
Shake it all de time
Work, work, work, Senora,
Work your body line
Work it all the time.D
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
What with this red alert thing in place I thought I wouldn't be able to open the back door this morning with all the snow we were to have, this is all we got so far, thank God for that, everything is closed down here, lord help us if we lived in Siberia.
If you want to keep warm during this icy spell follow Harry Belafonte’s advice ladies, not only does it keep you warm it also shakes off any snow you may have accumulated whilst outdoors, you know, like a dog shaking off water.

Shake your body line
Shake it all de time
Work your body line
Work it all the time.D
Are you not planning to sit out on your swinging seat then?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 01:08 PM

Not sure about these Lerts anymore. Our snow resembles a bit of dandruff which is OK but now they are Lerting that Gas may run out so you keep an eye on that garden stuff Jem.

You know what folk are like so I am listening for sounds of axes chopping up wooden furniture.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->

Shake your body line
Shake it all de time
Work your body line
Work it all the time.D
oh wot a lovely site Jem - I could just imagine a cosy cigar and brandy evening in there - that would melt the snow pretty quickly! [women members included of course!]
solo
UK

01-03-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
oh wot a lovely site Jem - I could just imagine a cosy cigar and brandy evening in there - that would melt the snow pretty quickly! [women members included of course!]
A brandy could do you and your vital organ a mischief .

Acting as a vasodilator, alcohol causes the blood vessels just below your skin’s surface to dilate, creating a false sensation of warmth, stealing heat from your vital organs and decreasing your overall core temperature. This effect is exacerbated when the body is exposed to cold temperatures.

Normally, the body protects itself against the cold by constricting those same blood vessels, allowing more blood to be used to maintain a warm core temperature. Because alcohol causes the blood to concentrate close to the body’s surface, external temperatures can quickly sap the body of its heat, further decreasing your core temperature, but not before giving you that false feeling of warmth.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 01:36 PM

Snow? What snow?

ref Sunny Jim Callaghan
solo
UK

01-03-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Snow? What snow?

ref Sunny Jim Callaghan
Gizza a clue Rj .
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 02:04 PM

I am back home at last.
Almost recovered.
Frozen lock on the front door as we eventually got home at 1 am!
Heating and hot water packed up! Now fixed - just!
But, glad to be home.
I blame the Russian's for all this snow!

Page 520 of 1676 « First < 20 420 470 510 518 519 520 521 522 530 570 620 1020 1520 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top