Join for free
Page 521 of 1676 « First < 21 421 471 511 519 520 521 522 523 531 571 621 1021 1521 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by solo ->
A brandy could do you and your vital organ a mischief .

Acting as a vasodilator, alcohol causes the blood vessels just below your skin’s surface to dilate, creating a false sensation of warmth, stealing heat from your vital organs and decreasing your overall core temperature. This effect is exacerbated when the body is exposed to cold temperatures.

Normally, the body protects itself against the cold by constricting those same blood vessels, allowing more blood to be used to maintain a warm core temperature. Because alcohol causes the blood to concentrate close to the body’s surface, external temperatures can quickly sap the body of its heat, further decreasing your core temperature, but not before giving you that false feeling of warmth.
Yeah But, after a few units, you don't care what your body is getting up to.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Usually, bit like last night, when I've been working a bit late, first thing I do after entering the house is have a couple of Units.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 03:43 PM

Never knew that about alcohol Solo, every days a schoolday on here.

I'm delighted your on the mend Sweetie, when all is said and done, there’s no fireside like your own fireside, as the old Irish saying goes.

I’m sitting in the living room with the wife, she’s just watched a film on Talking Pictures called “My Foolish Heart” whata load of weepie tripe, she’s a sucker for this type of film, always was, she was actually crying, God love her she’s very sentimental, when it was over she wiped her red eyes, and said “I really enjoyed that Jem” Enjoyed crying! Jaysus how are we ever supposed to understand women.
I’m waiting patiently for the huge blizzard that’s supposed to hit us at 4pm, I got a big coal fire on and coal in for the night, and I have me camera ready to capture the moment for posterity, although why should I bother, what has posterity ever done for me.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I am back home at last.
Almost recovered.
Frozen lock on the front door as we eventually got home at 1 am!
Heating and hot water packed up! Now fixed - just!
But, glad to be home.
I blame the Russian's for all this snow!
it's very dangerous going on hols these days - best stay at home!!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I’m sitting in the living room with the wife, she’s just watched a film on Talking Pictures called “My Foolish Heart” whata load of weepie tripe, she’s a sucker for this type of film, always was, she was actually crying, God love her she’s very sentimental, when it was over she wiped her red eyes, and said “I really enjoyed that Jem” Enjoyed crying! Jaysus how are we ever supposed to understand women.
I am with your good lady on this. We women like a good weepy film . It does the sinuses a power of good.

They used to make really good weepy ones. The Yearling was a classic as when he was told to shoot the fawn every women in the cinema burst into heartbroken sobs (and a few of the men blew their noses)

And who could ever forget Shenendoah

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
it's very dangerous going on hols these days - best stay at home!!
Or jump on a plane to see you.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Gizza a clue Rj .

Obituary: Lord Callaghan of Cardiff
MARCH 27, 2005
Lord Callaghan of Cardiff, who has died at the age of 92, was one of the most popular politicians of his generation - he was known as Sunny Jim - and the only person in the 20th century to hold the four most important offices of government: Chancellor of the Exchequer, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary and Prime Minister.
-------------------------------------------------------

Jim Callaghan enters No.10 in 1976
Jim Callaghan entered Number Ten as prime minister in 1976
In the midst of this "winter of discontent" of 1978-79, Callaghan returned from a summit on the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe, and gave some an impression of complacency when he denied there was mounting chaos.

"Crisis? What crisis
?" said the Sun headlines next day. Before long, the government was in a parliamentary crisis, when the Scottish Nationalists and other minor parties deserted Labour over devolution.

In a vote of confidence, Labour lost by one vote, the first time this had happened in 50 years. In the excited parliamentary atmosphere that followed, Callaghan acknowledged that the government's time had run out.

viz "Snow what snow"
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I too remember the fuel shortages in the '70s, along with the hike in price, 50 mph speed limit, and three day week.
I was at college in my home town of Swindon at the time. We gave up free periods, severely reduced the lunch break, and by various other methods managed to cram five days worth of lectures into three.
I much preferred it that way.

I shared my learnin' between apprenticin' at a large manufactory just norf of Brizzle, and book leanin' at collage for six months of the year.
Steeleye Span was introduced to me at the same time. I even went to see them live in Brizzle.

This is the song that first got me interested in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n01T7ejqKWk
it was noted that they never ever wrote a smash hit like "all around my hat" and some would say 'thank god'!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 10:21 PM

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

01-03-2018, 10:23 PM

Many intelligent folks do strange stuff, that is mind boggling, but, maybe that is because they went onto "Further Education"?

Page 521 of 1676 « First < 21 421 471 511 519 520 521 522 523 531 571 621 1021 1521 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top