Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Trixybird
West Sussex
Trixybird is female  Trixybird has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Re: Book recommendations

I had Stephen Fry's "Moab is my Washpot" bought for me. Has anyone read this ?? I will let you know my verdict
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 09:42 PM

I just finished Michael Palmer's "Miracle Cure", It's been out for a while, it was in my stack of emergency books for when the weather keeps me from the library. YThe premise is a little far out, but all in all a good escapist read for a snowed-in day,
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2010, 05:17 AM

Fortunately I am an insomniac and have a lot of spare time to spend reading. Must admit I usually prefer crime novels, both because they are easy reading and the fact that they give an insight into the society of different countries.

Among my favourites are Ian Rankin, Peter James, Donna Leon, Andrea Camilleri, James Lee Burke, Ed McBain, James Crumley, Robert Wilson etc etc.... the list just goes on

BUT - the book I read last night was in quite another cathegory;
The Bad Dog's Diary - A Year in the Life of Blake, by Martin Howard was such a joy & great fun that I just have to recommend it to all dog lovers (& other animal lovers too). Just had to laugh out loud sometimes (making my own dog believing I'd turned mad I think).
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks Anna I shall be looking for Ayear in the life of Blake in the library.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2010, 04:59 PM

I read most books by Michael Connolly, John Grisham, Lee Child, Clive Cussler, Dan Browm, Alan Folsom and loads more
Recently read for the second time was ''Vulcan 607'' about the Bombing raid on the Falklands Airport also read ''Apache Dawn'' about a tour of duty in Afghanistan I find a lot of books in ''Charity Shops'' and The Library for newer books.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel was the dramatised book reading during 'Womans Hour' for the last two weeks.
Very good, very dark - I look forward to actually reading it, as I'm sure there will be a lot more in the book than the radio drama.
Not for the squeamish but a ghost story for the 21st century maybe
scrabblemad
leicester uk
scrabblemad is female  scrabblemad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Have read all of Mary Higgins Clark books and enjoyed everyone!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Reading the latest Judi Picoult "House Rules", very good story.
scrabblemad
leicester uk
scrabblemad is female  scrabblemad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Just been to the Library and stocked up- weather not looking too good long range view.

Joseph O'Connor- Redemption Falls.(Loved his book, Star of The Sea)
Ann Cleeves- Red Bones -( Criminal Investigator)
P.J.Tracy- Dead Run - " "
Mary Higgins Clark- Just Take My Heart. Thriller
Lee Child - Gone Tomorrow - Thriller.

Still reading Sebastian Faulks- A Week in December.

They should last me 3 weeks.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

06-05-2010, 04:36 PM

I have the new Jonathan Kellerman "Deception" and Elizabeth Peters "A River in the Sky" on hold at the library, will pick up Saturday. Both favorite authors of mine.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top