Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Sad Worlds Oldest Polar Bear Dies

'Sad' Argentina polar bear Arturo dies

Argentina's only polar bear has died at the age of 30, his zoo says. Arturo, as he was known, came to the world's attention two years ago, when thousands of people signed a petition asking for him to be transferred to a colder climate in Canada. But the request was denied, as officials at the Mendoza zoo said he was "too old" to be sedated and moved. His partner Pelusa died of cancer in 2012, and he was said to have developed depression after that. A "blood circulation imbalance" caused a general decline in his health and Arturo died on Sunday, the zoo said. He was already weak due to old age, they added, with failing eyesight and sense of smell. He was blind on his right eye. In his last days, he suffered loss of appetite and was said to have lost significant weight.

A team was watching the animal and considered putting him to sleep in the case of extreme suffering but, according to the zoo, "nature took its course". Arturo was brought from the US at the age of eight, and was close to turning 31. He lived all his life in the zoo in Mendoza, local media said, a city where temperatures can climb above 30C. Environmental groups including Greenpeace had argued that it was risky to keep polar bears in such a climate, and started a movement to get him out. But officials also said he was "close to his caretakers" and ruled out his transfer.

He was described as the last polar bear in Argentina, after Winner, who lived in the capital Buenos Aires, died in 2012 during a heat wave. The Mendoza zoo was closed to visitors last month after more than 60 animals died between December and May. Officials said outbreaks of bacteria and overcrowding were to blame. Authorities said they wanted to convert it into an ecological park.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Re: Sad Worlds Oldest Polar Bear Dies

RIP Arturo

I've no idea how long a polar bear lives ... either in the wild in a more natural habitat or in a zoo.
I hope he went peacefully in his sleep.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 01:44 PM

I think in wild it's 15-20 years but in captivity some go n into late 30s.

Poor Arturo had a pitiful life but hopefully he's at peace now.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 01:49 PM

I'm not sad he died and neither us he I would suggest, what a miserable bloody existence some of these animals have in zoos, which offer nothing of the animal's natural habitat but just contain them for our entertainment. .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 01:51 PM

Very true Barry one of those occasions when death isn't the worst outcome IMO.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 01:53 PM

Obviously he didn't hurry his Murray
I know it was Fox's, it was a joke.

Agree he must have had a miserable life.
But he's not suffering now.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 01:59 PM

My thoughts. I am not a fan of zoos' s either.Sadly the zoo had a poor reputation.

I do not like any animal being in captivity but some zoos do run very good programmes for extinct species.

What is going to happen to animals when men want to hunt them to extintion.

Any thoughts Barry.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 02:03 PM

When 'man' as in 'mankind'
Not men.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-07-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
When 'man' as in 'mankind'
Not men.
Indeed several women recently made the news hunting barbarically. Not just men at all.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
My thoughts. I am not a fan of zoos' s either.Sadly the zoo had a poor reputation.

I do not like any animal being in captivity but some zoos do run very good programmes for extinct species.

What is going to happen to animals when men want to hunt them to extintion.

Any thoughts Barry.
I abhor the hunting of wild animals for pleasure, but to keep individuals in captivity in a completely unsuitable habitat just to prevent their extinction doesn't seem to be much of an answer either. If we cannot maintain enough natural habitat for animals to live naturally then what really is the point of their existence other than as a curiosity or to somehow assuage man's guilt perhaps?

Man should hang his head in shame for how he is pillaging the earth whilst apparently caring nothing for other species.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top