Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 10:03 AM

Re: Stockpiling

I think we are better prepared for a no deal than we are lead to believe.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Is that pure guesswork or do you have definitive evidence?

Maybe you’re relying on that contract awarded for a ferry service at Ramsgate or no checks being undertaken on any imports into the UK
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Hi

I do not.

I am somewhat closer to others on two aspects of a No Deal.

Firstly, Immigration.

The paper has only recently been published.

We are a minimum of 5 years away from implementing it.

Secondly, WTO requirements.

We will have to Certify every every consignment of food and agricultural products.

One Container can have 40 consignments.

We simply do not have the qualified staff to do this.

We stopped training them years ago and then, as part of Austerity, we got rid of those who were qualified.

We abolished our own training courses and relied on the EU training and qualifications.

We have no WTO recognised training or qualifications and it will take years to get them.

Blair stopped the funding for training our own, relied totally on the EU.

Cameron then abolished the training budgets for staff to go on EU Courses.

They had to pay for it themselves.

Strangely enough, they did not.

May was made aware of this, but did nothing.

Now it is panic stations.

We have not done well on preparations for No Deal.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:30 AM

There are some preparations but as nobody can be sure what will happen they are shabby and insufficient.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 11:38 AM

Hi

We do need to stockpile.

As we take more control of our Borders we will have a lack of tall, slim blondes.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Is that pure guesswork or do you have definitive evidence?

Maybe you’re relying on that contract awarded for a ferry service at Ramsgate or no checks being undertaken on any imports into the UK
No its because of several reasons.

1. Media
I don't limit my reading about Brexit from the mainstream remain media, I also look at other sources, such as Zero Hedge, Reaction Life etc etc. There are many reports debunking the myths about trade on WTO terms. Many of these written by people in authority in the UK and in the first person. The "whataboutery" thats printed in MSM is laughable.

2. Experience
I run my own company, trading in Switzerland, Ireland, France, India, UK and USA (among others). I've never had a problem signing contracts, getting paid or receiving or sending goods - to the EU or anywhere else outside of it. If trade with the EU is of the same standard of trading with the USA then that would be an improvement in my experience.

3. Work
My company deals with pharma regulatory compliance in manufacturing, IT, supply chain, clinical trials and R&D. I work with FDA, MHRA, EMA, Swiss Medic etc etc and do not believe the BS spouted by the media regarding drug applications and compliance issues. It was Gary Lineker who re-posted fake news about patients dying because drug products would not be available - it was made up mumbo jumbo, fake news.

4. My current contract is with the biggest drug company in the world (in Switzerland). So far according to the Brexit memo that has been distributed to all employees, we have been told that

a. flights will not be disrupted as the UK and europe already have measures in place to prevent disruption.

b. supply chains are unlikely to be disrupted, however should there be any delays at the Calais border, there is already increased warehousing in the UK to accommodate extra products so that the risk of supply is minimal (or even eliminated). This also means that if the UK has any delays to its WTO Pharmaceutical Tarriff Elimination Agreement, the costs can be kept to a minimum by using the already imported warehoused goods.

(also note that the Calais port authority have already confirmed there will be no disruption on their side after Brexit see point 7)

5. These discussions have been ongoing between Swiss businesses (who export 8 billion CHF to us) the UK and the Swiss Government for 2 years. I dare say, other countries have done the same. I know GSK have - take a look at their web site.

6. Regulatory alignment - the pharma industry is regulatory aligned primarily with the FDA in the USA. All other regulatory authorities (EMA for example) are almost a verbatim cut and paste from the USA regs. This is because the USA is the biggest market for drug products (soon to be China, which also uses the FDA regs as the backbone of its compliance). So any changes come from the USA mainly, not the EU - besides, we also originate a lot of these regulations because around 80% of biotech are in the UK already and we are a centre of excellence for drug R&D.

Furthermore.....

6. If we did have to impose tariffs, then these would amount to around 6 billion a year - less than half what we pay the EU so the UK government could "refund" businesses easily enough while still pocketing the remaining 6 billion savings from EU contributions. The low pound would also help to absorb these additional costs.

7. If the EU (France in particular) want to frustrate the borders as a punishment deal to the UK, then this would be in preach of the KYOTYO agreement, WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement, the WTO Technical Barriers to Trade Agreement etc. I doubt there will be the lorry park that has been reported by the likes of Sky News (pro remain) and the BBC (pro remain). Besides, if there are queues going into Dover its more likely to be empty lorries or goods bound for the EU (their stuff) so effectively they are only punishing themselves.

8. We already have electronic systems to deal with imports and exports, VAT etc (I think its called CHIEF) and the idea that customs officials will be searching lorries for regulatory discrepancies is simply, laughable. Most of these inspections done at the border (around 1% of the total) are intelligence lead customs issues and besides, companies have QA and QC departments to do their own compliance inspections (for quality control, certifications etc) and away from the border for animals as they do in Rotterdam.

So there's a few reasons why I think we are better prepared for a no-deal (or WTO) Brexit than what is being made out. Ofcourse, this sort of stuff isn't as sensational as "Brexit Boxes" or "Patients Will Die if No Deal !" etc headlines. The media have made a lot of money out of Brexit - whoever comes up with the most sensational headline sells the most papers - the sillier the better in most cases.

The WTO is there for many reasons - including promoting free trade, removing trade barriers and to championing fairness. I would be more than happy to live in a country that used these principles to trade with goods and services around the world rather than the protectionist mafia mob that is the EU.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 12:40 PM

Tariffs will either be charged to business or passed on to consumers. The EU charge is not distributed in the same way. As the govt have already spent the presumed savings 100 times over tariffs will be like another tax. Have the govt proposed removing VAT as a sweetener?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

15-01-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Tariffs will either be charged to business or passed on to consumers. The EU charge is not distributed in the same way. As the govt have already spent the presumed savings 100 times over tariffs will be like another tax. Have the govt proposed removing VAT as a sweetener?
it will be the EU external tarrif which is the same for everyone outside the EU.

Removing VAT on fuel would be a good move - unless you enjoy paying it.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 01:06 PM

This is the LEAVaealliance view which I assume is not remain biased

http://leavehq.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=128

Their conclusion is:

“One can say, unequivocally, that the UK could not survive as a trading nation by relying on the WTO Option. It would be an unmitigated disaster, and no responsible government should allow it. The option should be rejected.”
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

15-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
This is the LEAVaealliance view which I assume is not remain biased

http://leavehq.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=128

Their conclusion is:

“One can say, unequivocally, that the UK could not survive as a trading nation by relying on the WTO Option. It would be an unmitigated disaster, and no responsible government should allow it. The option should be rejected.”

Ha ha written by remainers masquerading as leavers.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top