Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Food allergies

A colleague at work today was discussing her allergies. She's allergic to eggs, nuts and fish. It makes her life incredibly difficult. Having to scrutinise the menu at every outside meal. How difficult and irritating would that be? Hence the reason she's so very slim.

When we flew back from Spain we were told that someone on board had a peanut allergy and no one would be served anything which had nuts in the ingredients, nor would anything with nuts be served on board. We took it extremely seriously. My colleague at work was saying someone on another flight was told the same, but continued to open a bag of peanuts and caused mayhem.

The only thing I know I'm allergic to is kiwi fruit. When I had a general anaesthesia earlier in the year the anaesthetist asked me about my allergies I told him kiwi fruit and felt silly, but he then said that people with kiwi allergies usually are allergic to latex. I didn't feel to silly then.

How remote are food allergies? They just seem to crop up and there's no rhyme nor reason for them. I mean remote in the fact that they just choose someone for a particular allergy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 09:03 PM

Re: Food allergies

Happily I have not found anything that I am allergic to in the food line, but I have friends who are gluten intolerant, one who is allergic to to kidney beans and chillies, and another one who cannot have nuts.

Plays merry hell with menu planning when I invite them over for Craft Days!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Allergies are being discussed on BBC 2 tonight.

My niece who is asthmatic has a severe peanut allergy, touching one can send her into anaphylactic shock so she carries an epi pen with her.
Her then boyfriend once kissed her having been eating peanuts and it sent her into shock .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 09:42 PM

.....see above
A very interesting programme on allergies and the possible connection to cesarean birth/antibiotics/lack of certain bacteria.

Yet another reason to breastfeed, giving your baby a large number of bacteria to help prevent allergies.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Allergies are being discussed on BBC 2 tonight.

My niece who is asthmatic has a severe peanut allergy, touching one can send her into anaphylactic shock so she carries an epi pen with her.
Her then boyfriend once kissed her having been eating peanuts and it sent her into shock .
That is so scary !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
A colleague at work today was discussing her allergies. She's allergic to eggs, nuts and fish. It makes her life incredibly difficult. Having to scrutinise the menu at every outside meal. How difficult and irritating would that be? Hence the reason she's so very slim.

When we flew back from Spain we were told that someone on board had a peanut allergy and no one would be served anything which had nuts in the ingredients, nor would anything with nuts be served on board. We took it extremely seriously. My colleague at work was saying someone on another flight was told the same, but continued to open a bag of peanuts and caused mayhem.
y.
I don't think I have any food allergies but I am allergic to the glue on Elastoplasts (Band Aids are OK)

There is a theory going round that we live in a very (too) clean environment and our bodies have an immune system with virtually nothing to do so it turns on its host creating these allergies (and perhaps things like asthma).

I certainly tell my kids to allow their kids to play in the dirt and get filthy and not to use those absurd anti germ cleaners and wipes especially in the kitchen (it is not an operating theatre)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

28-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I certainly tell my kids to allow their kids to play in the dirt and get filthy and not to use those absurd anti germ cleaners and wipes especially in the kitchen (it is not an operating theatre)
Good advice, Bruce, I do not remember kids having all these allergies when I was at school.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 10:36 AM

There are foods that disagree with me but I am not actually allergic to them, such as thick slices of dripping toast with extra marmite or jelly .... feel a bit queasy after half a dozen of those ....

I am allergic to tomato though, the acid reacts with arthritis and causes joints to swell up especially finger joints ; pity because I love tomato but even a small amount of puree has that effect ..
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't think I have any food allergies but I am allergic to the glue on Elastoplasts (Band Aids are OK)

There is a theory going round that we live in a very (too) clean environment and our bodies have an immune system with virtually nothing to do so it turns on its host creating these allergies (and perhaps things like asthma).

Lol Bruce, that reminded me of when my brother was young. An angry parent came to the door, complaining my brother had hit their son. My mum was angry and asked my brother why he did it. "Because he stole my dirt" was the reply!!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2014, 04:09 PM

My food allergy is a little odd. I'm allergic to eggs, but only if they're raw/undercooked. I can eat hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs, as long as the whole thing is cooked through. If the white or the yolk is just slightly underdone, I'm in trouble. This allergy came about once I had my son 15 years ago. Before then undercooked egg didn't bother me. And I *SO* miss eating fried eggs with runny yolk. But... can't do it anymore.

The other odd thing is this allergy applies to ALL raw poultry. Anytime I prepare chicken or turkey for meals, I have to wear gloves. I can't even touch raw poultry without getting a reaction; my skin breaks out into a red, itchy rash. It's especially worse if I accidentally get raw chicken juice into a cut on my hands or fingers. It gets really red and swells up and it's a painful itch.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top