Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 05:56 PM

What a day

A lousy morning with my COPD playing up leaving me breathless after every small exertion. I decided to treat myself to a half at the local midday.I took my new lad Casper out of the car and using a new yard chain fixed him safely to a pub table outside.My old dog Benji remained in the car happy to just watch the world go by.

Coming back out I heard a scream of pain and saw he had tangled himself up in the chain. I rushed to release him and then saw that the spring catch on the end of the chain had gone right through his ankle. I desperately tried to free him and he bit my hand badly. Shouting out for help..... and now suffering a panic attack that was preventing me breathing.... a customer rushed to help.

We were unable to free him, so with the chain attached we bundled him into the car and headed for a local vet.....all this with me using a mobile nebuliser to enable me to breathe.The vet came out with more help and cut the chain off short with a pair of bolt cutters....She disappeared into the surgery with Casper and asked permission to knock him out to remove the chain....this she did while I waited.

I have to pick the poor lad up around six and will say goodbye to over a hundred pounds for my troubles. Poor little lad...can't wait to give him a hug.....even if he is wrecking my furniture in the house. I doused my hand in TCP not wanting to spend the rest of the day in A&E for a tetanus jab. Bloody yard chain....never thought it could be so dangerous....and without that customer coming to my aid in the trip to the vets I would have been in a helluva mess.

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 06:08 PM

Re: What a day

What a shame for both of you. I am sure your dog will heal well and be back to normal in a week, but please keep your eye on that bite because animals mouths carry a lot of bacteria, so an infection could soon develop. Keep it clean and try a bit of Savlon cream to keep germs at bay. If it is bad enough to bandage, make sure you check it every day till it is healed.
Don't hesitate to see the doctor if your wound becomes red and painful, or you notice any pus, because you mat need anti- biotics.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 06:13 PM

Poor Casper , hope he's feeling better soon , and time to throw the chain away .
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 07:00 PM

This is the chain that caused the damage....his little ankle tendons caught up in the spring loaded clasp

And this is the one I SHOULD have bought

The shop has removed them from sale...and the vets bill

£148!!! A rare accident but dog owners be warned!!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 09:33 PM

Poor dog & poor you. Good to read the shop has taken those chains off sale. You should keep an eye on your bite though. He is a sweet looking dog.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 09:43 PM

Weren't you worried someone might nick him if he was tied up on his own poodog? There is so much dog theft going on, as you no doubt know.

I notice in the photo of him on the sofa that he wears a choke chain too. I don't want to alarm you, but my friend's dog died because of a choke chain. I won't touch the damn things.
Her little terrier was running through the woods and jumped over a fallen tree. Unfortunately his chain caught on one of the branches, tightened up, and he had hung himself before she got to him.

I hope you are both feeling a bit better now.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 09:55 PM

I agree re the choke chain and also know of a terrible accident that happned with a poor dog getting caught up in the house and dying of stragulation.

As regards the chain, have you thought of contacting the manufacturer explain what happend and see if they would at least in part like to pay some of your vet bill.
Rosey
Essex,UK
Rosey is female  Rosey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 10:02 PM

Hope you both recover soon.....
Casper is lovely.......we use a harness on our dog....
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 10:22 PM

We use a Harness as well so much better ,.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK

02-04-2016, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Weren't you worried someone might nick him if he was tied up on his own poodog? There is so much dog theft going on, as you no doubt know.

I notice in the photo of him on the sofa that he wears a choke chain too. I don't want to alarm you, but my friend's dog died because of a choke chain. I won't touch the damn things
I hope you are both feeling a bit better now.
Thank you for your comments...I'm lucky if I get around three hours sleep a night...but the bites are healing ok with the help of Savlon and TCP.

I took this picture around 4am...it seems that young un'
feels a bit more secure cuddled up to my old dog after a helluva day. Note his new leather collar!
As for the chain...I shall find out who is importing them and ask for comments....(you might guess they are from China and packed over here.)

As for leaving the dog on his own...unfortunately being alone there are times when a dog has to be left outside if only for a few minutes.In this case luckily I was only feet away when I heard his cries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top