Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Martin Clunes dropped by animal charity

Actor Martin Clunes has been dropped by an animal charity as its patron, after footage was broadcast of him riding an elephant.

The star of Doc Martin has been criticised after climbing on to the elephant during an episode of My Travels And Other Animals on ITV.

Following the criticism, the charity Born Free has cut ties with Clunes, who had been a celebrity patron.

https://news.sky.com/story/animal-ch...n-itv-11719561

Disgusting , Martin Clunes and ITV . Surely they do their research and know how these elephants are trained as babies ? A technique known as 'elephant crushing' is the cruellest, barbaric training.

The elephants learn that if they show pain, they will receive more pain.
I'm disgusted at them promoting such a tourist venture !!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 04:56 PM

Re: Martin Clunes dropped by animal charity

To be fair, I have never heard of elephant crushing.

When I went to Sri Lanka, I asked if I could ride on an elephant and did.
I had no inkling of any cruelty involved, else I would not have.
The elephants didn't appear to be being treated badly.

I took a film of a man in a river with his elephant, giving him a wash.

We are all up for being educated, though, and if cruelty is involved, then I would be in line to condemn the practice.

If Martin Clunes had been oblivious to any cruelty involved, then I would have thought that keeping him as a patron and asking him to speak about it would do more good than sacking him.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 04:58 PM

I saw this in the paper over the weekend, Puddles.

I normally like Martin Clunes, and I do think he cares about animals, so I was really surprised to see him doing this.
The picture I saw showed him standing on the elephant's trunk, holding onto it's ear, and being hoisted up.

I did wonder if that is why that elephant's ears flaps are discoloured and pink looking, perhaps where they have been swung on all it's miserable life.

I love these creatures, and it is extremely sad, and so wrong, what some of them have to endure at the hands of man - again.

Humans seem to think everything and anything is there for their taking and use don't they.

* I have found a link here to explain what Puddles was meaning about "Crushing."

https://www.thailandelephants.org/the-ugly

(Warning: I had to stop reading it).
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
To be fair, I have never heard of elephant crushing.

When I went to Sri Lanka, I asked if I could ride on an elephant and did.
I had no inkling of any cruelty involved, else I would not have.
The elephants didn't appear to be being treated badly.

I took a film of a man in a river with his elephant, giving him a wash.

We are all up for being educated, though, and if cruelty is involved, then I would be in line to condemn the practice.

If Martin Clunes had been oblivious to any cruelty involved, then I would have thought that keeping him as a patron and asking him to speak about it would do more good than sacking him.
Like you, I have never heard of elephant crushing either. All the programs I've seen about 'tame' elephants have shown the handlers/trainers/owners love their charges & look after them properly. Also like you, I'm sure Martin had no idea any cruelty was used in training the elephants. If, that is cruelty is involved.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 05:09 PM

It's heart breaking Mups. There is a video, but even I a hardened observer of animal cruelty, cannot watch much of it.

So thank you for finding the link explain this horrific method of cruelty.

The ears on the elephants that are ripped is nearly always due to the use of 'bullhooks' which is a weapon used constantly and forever, to keep them in order. Being wild animals, they can turn to anger easily if something bothers them. People are killed every month due to elephants raging. It's a stupid trade, dangerous and more often than not, particularly the begging elephants feed the drug habits of their owners.

Please don't take elephant rides, or contribute to their dreadful lives in any way. Thank you
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

14-05-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Like you, I have never heard of elephant crushing either. All the programs I've seen about 'tame' elephants have shown the handlers/trainers/owners love their charges & look after them properly. Also like you, I'm sure Martin had no idea any cruelty was used in training the elephants. If, that is cruelty is involved.
They don't look after them at all, Tiffany. Even the Temples are uncaring and parade them amongst thousands of people on hard tarmac or gravel roads where they get blisters and their pads get ripped or burnt, the gravel gets buried in the feet , with drums banging, music blaring ,crowds cheering.. This is not normal for a wild animal, or indeed any animal.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 05:17 PM

We can ride horses so why not elephants? They are obviously much more powerful.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 05:22 PM

We had the chance of riding on an elephant in India, up to one of the temples but we refused even though it was part of the tour. We were the only ones in our group that prefered to walk rather than use an animal for financial gain. Eventually, the guide gave us a lift in his jeep but I don't think any of them quite understood why we didn't want to do it.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

14-05-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
We can ride horses so why not elephants? They are obviously much more powerful.
Horses are not wild animals, Your remark must mean you have not read the link Mups put up, and the training practices that each and everyone of them is subjected to as babies. Read about it, and then compare horses to elephants.
Sorry , not intending to be rude, but I am so upset at this, particularly ITV.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

14-05-2019, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We had the chance of riding on an elephant in India, up to one of the temples but we refused even though it was part of the tour. We were the only ones in our group that prefered to walk rather than use an animal for financial gain. Eventually, the guide gave us a lift in his jeep but I don't think any of them quite understood why we didn't want to do it.
Good for you, Longdogs. I'm proud of you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top