Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:05 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:34 PM

It's nice to see them all falling in love Sweetie, keeps them focused and out of trouble, bless them.

Meanwhile back in the shed.

A shed it’s said is a mans own nest
Where he can work, play, and have a quiet rest
No one to bother him or upset his routine
And he can smoke his brains out without been seen.

Well I’ve just finished hanging some self adhesive wallpaper in me Summer shed and it looks impressive, light grey scrolls on a white background, I saw it in a wallpaper shop and I couldn’t resist it. The wallpaper shop has a big sign in the window saying “Hang our papers, they deserve it”
Meanwhile the workshop shed is all tidied up and rearing to go for another season, I’m be getting down to brass tacks very soon now.
Where did that saying come from anyway “Getting down to brass tacks?”
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 12:11 AM

Good Night Possums.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 04:34 AM

G'night,Sweetie...[sorry-late,as usual...]

Jem,it's a disputed phrase,USUALLY accepted as being a reference to when furnishings wear out...I.E; a carpet wears away through use,the tacks holding it to the floorboards would show.
OR
An armchair-very comfy,winged,so draught-free...and as a consequence,often in use. Ergo,the leather would wear away in places,revealing the brass tacks holding the leather covering to the frame.
BOTH are believed to be circa mid-18th century.

[and,if anyone is interested,I know that only because it was a question in our local quiz-night,just before Halloween. No,I did NOT 'Goo-glit']

...mind you 'as dead as a doornail' has a COMPLETELY different meaning....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Good morning gents.

I dreamt all night anxiety dreams & about beds
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Good Morning Possums.
Where or where is Gummy now.

On the topic of nails, and Young Robert about beds. I wonder how people sleep on a bed of nails?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 07:35 PM

Thank you Pug, I had a feeling it was to do with upholstery, a mate of mine was in that game, had a huge shed he worked in, he used to take a mouthful of tacks, put the hammer to his mouth and start tapping them in, I think the hammer had a magnetic head, he was like lightning.

There used to be a girl on our street called Magdalene, she used to go to ballroom dancing classes and her bum stuck out like a duck, indeed one could rest a tray on it. ‘Magnetic Mag’ she was known as, she was no oil painting but all the lads eyes were attracted to her ass.
Not relevant I know just thought i’d fling it into the ring with the sheds, beds, and nails.

I think when you dream about beds RJ it means a household move of some kind, shifting furniture about the house or garden, putting the TV in a different place or the like. I used to know a lady who was fantastic at explaining dreams, alas she's gone for the long dream herself now.

Murphy was an enterprising Corkman, his business was making nails, but his only rival, Davison of Belfast had the nail market covered and Murphy was only getting the tail end of the business.
Murphy then had a brainwave, he took out a full page ad in The Irish Times. The ad featured the Crucifixion scene on Mount Calvay with one of Christ’s hands off the cross and hanging down by his side. At the bottom of the page in large letters read “They Didn’t Use Murphy’s Nails”

Believe it or not a priest friend of mine told me that one many years ago, I asked him at the time was that not sacrilegious, not a bit of it, says he, everyone has a go at their boss now and then.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

28-02-2019, 10:28 PM

Are sweet dreams made like this?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-02-2019, 10:38 PM

That’s Spike Nailer, I saw that fella on the front page of the Punjab newspaper “Fakir News”
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

28-02-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
That’s Spike Nailer, I saw that fella on the front page of the Punjab newspaper “Fakir News”

Here is some more nonsense.

Ten Top Trivia Tips about Nails!
People used to believe that dressing their male children as nails would protect them from evil spirits!
Americans discard enough nails to rebuild their entire commercial air fleet every 3 months.
Nails was first discovered by Alexander the Great in India and introduced to Europe on his return.
Koalas sleep for 22 hours a day, two hours more than nails.
Nails is actually a fruit, not a vegetable!
Only fifty-five per cent of men wash their hands after using nails!
Nails will give a higher yield if milked when listening to music.
Nails will often rub up against people to lay its scent and mark its territory.
68 per cent of all UFO sightings is by nails.
If you drop nails from the top of the Empire State Building, it will be falling fast enough to kill before reaching the ground.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top