Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 05:30 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Thank you for the feedback.

I am a plain speaker who does not accept obvious claptrap specially when it is at others expense, but on this occasion what I have to say is best left unsaid out of respect for Jem and OFF.

My loyalty lies here because as they so rightly say...there is nothing like the genuine article .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 05:38 PM

I suppose all these posts would make more sense if we were privy to the PM's that do the rounds. I'm detecting there is some sort of uprising on the horizon.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose all these posts would make more sense if we were privy to the PM's that do the rounds. I'm detecting there is some sort of uprising on the horizon.
The only explanation I could give is, Jem, and leisurely scribbles deserve better than this
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Thank you for the feedback.

I am a plain speaker who does not accept obvious claptrap specially when it is at others expense, but on this occasion what I have to say is best left unsaid out of respect for Jem and OFF.

My loyalty lies here because as they so rightly say...there is nothing like the genuine article .
Leisurely Scribbles originated from the bright idea of Jem, one of our original members, almost 5 years ago. It was a hit right from the start with the deep thinking posts and the reasoning and often humerous replies from the intelligent group of scribblers.

It’s good to see you posting on here again Solo.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 07:41 PM

Thank you all for your kind words folks.
Just like RJ I hate quarrelling and arguments that’s why I stay out of threads that I have a feeling will erupt into a skin and hair flying match, I’m gone beyond all that at my stage of life, just not interested in that type of thing, but good luck to those who enjoy it.
On the scribbling thread a bit of friendly ribbing goes on but we all understand who can take it and who can’t so we all respect that, understanding between several people from different places and all walks of life, that to me is a good thing.
It has been relatively trouble free and although it is not officially a self moderated thread we have all managed to moderate ourselves, and most importantly kept heavy politics out, I’m very grateful to you all for that.

Phew! Thank God that’s that post out, it certainly ain’t leisurely when you have to think about what you’re going to write.

It’s a beautiful evening now and I’m taking the dog out for a walk with the possibility of taking him into the local on the way back, the Innkeeper loves him and provides him with a saucer of Guinness, no wonder the dog is so healthy.
See you all later.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:20 PM

We need someone in the engine room, stoking the impetus, any volunteers?

That's what Gummy would have said, in a round about sort of way.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2019, 10:29 PM

Methinks there’s enough stoking going on as it is Spitty.

I was looking at an American crime program last night, about bad blood between neighbours, ended in tragedy as sometimes happens in these cases, anyway one chap is talking to a press reporter and in the course of the conversation he says “One of my other neighbours, who is a male lady had a spare key to my house and…”
A male lady? What’s a male lady I’m thinking, with all these new names for folks with gender differences I genuinely had no idea what a male lady was. It was only when a picture came up on the screen of a postwoman in uniform that I realised he meant a Mail Lady, mail as in post. A trans Atlantic misunderstanding on my part.
It must be very hard on someone trying to learn the English language from scratch, take the simple word “Row” for example, it sounds the same but can mean several completely different things, row as to argue, row as to propel a boat, row as a row of cottages, roe as fish eggs. Funny enough i worked with a Turkish chap when i was an apprentice and he was really bamboozled trying to understand and express himself in the English, especially the Dublin version of it.
No such messing’ about with the Gaelic, if my memory serves me right Ro means ‘Very” as in “Ro Deas”—Very nice. Pity I can’t speak it fluently, hated learning it in school, probably because it was compulsory, compulsory is a word I always associate with bullying for some reason, not a nice word.

solo
UK

14-05-2019, 06:21 PM

For Meg
solo
UK

14-05-2019, 06:22 PM

Phew no longer having to depend on squiffy wifi as now back with sensible broadband.

Talking of row and boats.....

Now who in their right minds would accept an invitation to go sailing on the Deben knowing full well they get seasick at the sight of a ripple in a glass of still water. Well as Pugs so succinctly pointed out you don't have to be right minded to post on scribbles do you !.

I did accept the invitation and although the water has been like a mill pond, gloriously hot and not a cloud in the sky I still insisted I wear my life jacket at all times. It has not helped when my friend Capt Horatio Nelson kept informing me, "A few days ago we would have been lashing each other to the mast it was that rough" then bursting cheerfully into Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves. My Name is not Britannia and I don't want to rule the waves nor would my unpatriotic stomach allow it. So make a reef knot out of that if you will.

Anyhow it's back to being a cowardly but happy landlubber and lets have no more of this jolly "Hooray up she rises" or a " Life on the Ocean Waves" either.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 08:02 PM

The older I become, the more I am able to relate events of yesteryear with life today.
My Nan for example. Us kids wouldn’t ever ask of a drink because all her crockery and cutlery was not clean and her glass tumblers were often in use as a receptacle for dentures.
I even in later years teased a story out of this.
I’d say that I have had a terrible pain in my jaw for the last week, only relieved when I realised I was wearing nurse Gillian’s dentures. Easily done when you keep them all in the same glass tumbler.
Zap, forward 65 years to 2019 & we have our youngest 2 granddaughters for tea.
“Granddad, this spoon is dirty “
Actual ly, they belonged to our grandparents and were just old and worn. They are probably one hundred years old.
I began to ponder on how I became old, & like my nan, could not be bothered with trivia.

I pottered in my daughter’s garden this afternoon, pruning, weeding, and talking to the plants.
I was and am a great gardener; it is one thing that I excel at, without trying.
I KNOW what to do, I don’t have to look up plant names, or anything else, After being schooled in horticulture I pondered today on how I became a great gardener....
It was my Nan of course; she did not have books or Monty Don she mixed vet, fruit and flowers using every space just like modern practise. We were sent out on the road to collect the steaming hot dung left by the milk mans horse, to put on her roses and runner beans.
I’m tired
Bear with me; I will come to my point later chums

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top