Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 07:33 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

How did you know I was curious, did you also notice, the 15000th post happened on the 1500th page.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
RJ, I'm a bit strapped at the moment, how about some P2P lending, this may not be the first time I have needed a olive branch.

Talking about being strapped for cash, my money was very small when I was an apprentice, in those days one had to ask for a rise otherwise you would be conveniently forgotten about, I kid you not.
Anyway I was due a good rise so I asked an old hand in the workshop what was the best way to approach the boss in order to get the best deal I could. He told me that the boss was a miserable old git and I would have to be firm with him, he respected bravery in young lads. He toldme what to say and do and I listened very carefully to his words then stored them in my mind word for word.
Came the Friday and I walked into the small office with me pay packet opened and displayed all of my 17 shillings and 6 pence in the palm of my hand. The boss looked at me and said
“Hello there Jimmy, you’re looking very serious”
“Well I’m feeling very serious Mr. Bernstein”
“Why’s that Jimmy?”
“I’m looking for a rise in me pay Mr. Bernstein”
“OK, so how does half a crown extra a week sound to you?”
“Sounds great Mr Bernstein, ten years ago!”
“Get out you impertinent little pup, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!”
All the others in the workshop had been looking in the office window, they heard everything and were doubled up laughing. About a month after that I got an extra half dollar in me packet.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
RJ, I'm a bit strapped at the moment, how about some P2P lending, this may not be the first time I have needed a olive branch.
SOZ

I don't understand, I am a bit stupid today.

Is it cryptic ?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 04:24 PM

This might help explain it RJ, the wife cried when I played it just now, it used to be her Dad’s party piece.

One would think she would toss a few quid over to her poor unfortunate bored stiff hubby and tell him to go out and have a few jars, not a bit of it, hard as nails that woman of mine.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
One would think she would toss a few quid over to her poor unfortunate bored stiff hubby and tell him to go out and have a few jars, not a bit of it, hard as nails that woman of mine.
You are handling this all wrong ...Take a tip from my friends hubby. If he wants to go out and starts to get grief he offers to do the washing up, then drops a few cups. She has him out of the house so fast his feet don't touch the ground.

We all know what he is up to but as yet she has not twigged on.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

26-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the tip Solo, good thinking that.
Two of her sisters have just arrived and we’ll all be going local shortly, bless them, with all the slagging I give them (and they me) they are great company.

“Spitfire in near-miss with light aircraft after stunt” BBC news story today.

Good grief Spitty I thought you only went to the air shows to watch the planes not to fly them, don’t ya think your a bit long in the tooth to be acting the maggot with fancy stunts?

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 09:11 AM

I am sure my friends hubby has more survival tricks up his sleeve Jem. He's still newish and perfect in her eyes so we will see

I lovely clip of Hugo Broch 95, one of Germany's most highly decorated World War Two pilots who wanted to fly a spitfire

Two of the comments below the clip sums it up

"The thing I love about pilots are the mutual respect they have for one another, and their shared dream of taking to the skies".

"At 95 most people are happy if they can manage to drink their soup, have a good crap and walk from the porch to the bed. This guy flies around in a WW2 warplane to satisfy his curiosity. Tough as nails".

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

27-05-2019, 09:34 PM

He’s a marvellous man, he has a love of life and excitement, that’s an asset in the longevity stakes.

My old Dad was 94 when he picked up the hospital bug that ended it for him, he went in with a broken arm after a fall and if he hadn’t caught that bug I’m positive he would have reached the 100 mark. He was interested in most things and had a great memory for old Dublin history, facts straight from the horses mouth and none of your doctored official stuff. He was a beautiful hand writer and his collection of writings are a joy to read. He was also great at fixing and repairing things, he’d stick with something until got it right.
We were drinking buddies which was an uncommon thing in pubs back then, we conversed more like brothers or old mates rather than father and son, I miss him, he was always good company, rest his soul.

This photo was taken by a friend in the old local we used at that time, it was taken unnoticed to us and was given to me after he died, I never knew it existed, it’s not dated but I think it could either be 2000 or 2001, I would be in my mid 50’s and he’d be about 86 here.

I missed a horse going in the 5.30 at Chelmsford today, with all the EU election results coming in it was a tip in itself, “The Greyvtrain” won at 14/1. Blast it! I was too slow making the connection. I’m convinced the almighty keeps sending us these little tips but we keep failing to connect.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 10:25 PM

I’m convinced the almighty keeps sending us these little tips but we keep failing to connect.

Yep indeede.
solo
UK

28-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Your photo taken captures that moment in time between Father and son and so good that you had that cameradrie and respect for each other to create such happy menories.

So many parents and children through many reasons don't have or want that closeness...and something valuable is lost when that happens

Thank you for sharing Jem.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top