Join for free
Page 493 of 1676 « First < 393 443 483 491 492 493 494 495 503 543 593 993 1493 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 11:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Omg!!!
Too much to read.
I need more time!

I do wonder about some of the clothing of the past.
How could people ever be comfortable?
All those girdles and tight breeches.
At least a Fart took some time to hit the Stratosphere.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 11:12 PM

Boxer Shorts, maybe responsible for the erosion of the Ozone layer.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
yes but can you imagine sitting next to such characters in drawing room soirees??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Now for a bit of culture

Last year I enjoyed a evening at the opera, and here is my review

Lakmé by Léo Delibes
Theatre Royal
Performed by City Opera.
Nothing lacking in this performance in my humble opinion. All credit to the Theatre Royal & City Opera for staging this rather neglected work. Lakmé by Léo Delibes has suffered in the same way as all the other misunderstood gems branded a one tune Opera. The flower song in this case. Cruelly when you think of Cav & Pag forever staged jointly & known mainly for the Intermezzo in Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni, and Vesti la giubba from I Pagliacci by Ruggierio Leoncavallo.

A magnificent cast & difficult to pick out anyone for their performance because they were all outstanding. I must highlight though the pure tones and power of Madalina Barbu in the role of Lakmé her voice soared transcendently achieving unbelievable peaks effortlessly

Hakan Vramsmo, as Nilakantha the Brahmin priest has my vote for being the tallest and loudest performer and Daniel Joy for his range, stamina & likeability
The unusual setting for this work based in the period of partition in India & the clashes of culture added to which the various factions don’t get in the way of the glorious music as could easily have happened.

I must mention an incident I witnessed. In a seat 2 rows down the aisle sat an innocent lady theatre goer when the poor dear’s seat suddenly collapsed throwing her unceremoniously into the aisle. This was before the performance had even started. Thinking she was protesting over some important matter I was relieved when a little man with a box of screws came scuttling along & discreetly fixed the chair back. All in the dark too. She was re seated I guess, for she didn’t return to her seat. I checked mine.

But I digress.
A wonderful evening, a wonderful theatre & discreet ,attentive staff ^& volunteers.

Jack James aka Robert Jnr.(not qualified for this task)
erhm RJ or can I call you Jack now ? - just a point for devotees - which city opera were performing ? - Swansea; NY city opera; Opera Holland; Opera Australia or Opera de Montreal to name but a few and as you are a seasoned traveller then you could have been anywhere!! -know what I mean nod nod wink wink! "tales of travel with nurse vivian"
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

16-02-2018, 05:45 AM

I must highlight though the pure tones and power of Madalina Barbu in the role of Lakmé her voice soared transcendently achieving unbelievable peaks effortlessly
lovely - well not to take anything away from the lovely Madaline but how would you rate her compared to Joan Sutherland??
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Excepting those rumbles previously "touching cloth"
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
lovely - well not to take anything away from the lovely Madaline but how would you rate her compared to Joan Sutherland??
Not one to NAMEDROP below is a piece I wrote about my mother and Ken Russell the famous film director.

My Mother & Ken Russell.
Researched by Robert G
I knew that Olive, my mother knew the man but I had no idea she kept so many letters & cards from the great man, L'enfant terrible of the cinematic world.
Ken’s family came from the Trinity district of old Southampton , now St Mary’s. His father was a cobbler by trade & coincidentally lived for a time in Craven street, where my father was born in 1920. The Russell family were mostly known as money lenders. Olive came into their world in about 1940 by which time they had moved to a large detached house in Winchester road . Mrs Russell made quite an impression on young Olive, employed as a house maid & sometime baby sitter to young Ken, barely 2 years younger than her. Mum refers to the lady in one of her letters to Ken.
Ken kept in touch diligently especially in her retirement years, writing from all over the world in his own handwriting, visiting her and receiving her and dad onto his film sets.
footnote
I wasn’t going to keep the boxfile containing these letters cards & cuttings but I quickly changed my mind when I eventually sat down & read the entire collection, realising what a treasure-trove is contained here. Light is shed on the life & character of both of them. An interesting read.

PS,

the family kept Mr Russell informed when she was very ill, aged 86.
By an astounding act of fate we had no reason to inform him of her death on November 11th 2011, because he died the same day.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Ken kept in touch diligently especially in her retirement years, writing from all over the world in his own handwriting, visiting her and receiving her and dad onto his film sets.
footnote
Quote from Ken Russells obit

He gave the impression that he cared not a damn. Those who knew him better, however, knew that he did. Underneath all the showbiz bluster, he was an old softie. Or, perhaps as accurately, a talented boy who never quite grew up.

Your mothers letters prove this to be a true description
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 11:07 AM

I will return when the air has cleared
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 01:52 PM

“I will return when the air has cleared”
Don’t blame you Solo, I’ll have to see Azz about getting an extractor fan in.

A grand bit of reading there folks, warms the cockles of me heart to see yis all in good form.

All I can say about opera RJ is that it takes a clever man to figure out what’s happening on the stage, good for you and delighted you enjoy it. I’m more of a murder mystery/ comedy man when I go to the plays here in Dublin.

As an apprentice many years ago I worked for a West Indian bloke called Clarence Hudson, previous to that the only other Clarence I knew was the cross eyed lion on TV. Clarence was one of the top diamond mounters in these isles, he used to have “By appointment only” and “Late of Hatton Garden” on his brass plate outside his workshop and only the creme de la creme could afford his work.
When we practiced making ring mounts in silver we would take it in to Clarence and hand it over for inspection then wait for the sermon on the mount, as we called it, but he was an excellent teacher and pointed out where you went wrong and how to avoid going wrong again.
Anyway Clarence loved the films, especially westerns, and would regularly give me half a dollar to go and see a film he thought he might like to see himself when he was free, I was to watch every frame and come back and report it all to him in his office, it was a shilling into the cinema (Only the best seats I was to sit in, usually half a crown seats but a shilling to under 16’s) and the other one and six was to spend at my own discretion, popcorn and smokes usually. More times than not he would go to see the film himself that night with his beautiful wife Sonia.
I had to hold in the laughing at the way he used to say ‘Film’, he would say “Well tell me now little Timmy, was the Flem any good?”
He eventually ended up living in Paris where I heard he died some years ago at the ripe old age of 92, a very unforgettable and kind gentleman he was too.

Page 493 of 1676 « First < 393 443 483 491 492 493 494 495 503 543 593 993 1493 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top