Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Senex
California, USA
Senex is male  Senex has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 03:57 AM

Re: Will technology be the downfall of man?

AI can pretty much not fail to be a poison pill for mankind, especially when robots are realized and the two combined. The apologists will no doubt spin it something fierce, but there are few scenarios where this can end well, and thousands where it will turn out bad...or worse.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Were it not for this new technology YOU would be starving no matter how relaxed and phoneless you were.
Please be more explicit Brucy
Do you mean to say humans cant exist without info tech
Darwin had no cell phone
Newtn ditto
Herschel ditto
Logi Baird ditto, the list gets longer
All these were original thinkers, a dying breed now with
Google and like, replacing brains and thinking with a ready
made store of info instantly available.Over time IMO, this
could affect human brain activity
We cannot eat data Brucy Boy

Best Regards Donkeyman
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It scares me what they actually are up to in their laboratories, Bratti. With all new inventions taking years to appear in the marketplace, there must be some serious inroads going on in those secret development places.
I reckon they're already cloning humans somewhere. Look how far the GPS system has come. Everywhere we go we are being tracked...they are even watching us in our homes through our TVs. It's really scary.
You must have read 1984, Floydy, the smilarities between
the book and where we are heading at present are very
disturbing
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:18 PM

I think that it's Man who is bringing about the downfall of Man!

Technology is just a tool.

There are many amazing uses, of technology, which are helping - we just need to get control of those who misuse it.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

05-04-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that it's Man who is bringing about the downfall of Man!

Technology is just a tool.

There are many amazing uses, of technology, which are helping - we just need to get control of those who misuse it.
Exactly, Ted, Finite planet
Exponential population
Exponential cosumption
Equals
Obvious really

Regards Donkeyman.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 06:10 PM

I see the film Wall-e unfolding before my eyes at school

But the frightening thing is, we aren't living on a spaceship devoid of a fruitful earth!

Seriously. Teenagers' lives are pretty much lived via a 10x7cm screen
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 06:48 PM

I would have thought that technology is responsible in many ways for what are our prolonged, healthier lives compared to years' ago when 35-40 years of age was considered the usual lifespan. Foods and medicines have been developed using new technology so are probably responsible for this increase in our lifespan.

The latest technology recently on the news was about how it is now possible to extract a faulty human cell, grow it on a computer chip so as to analyse it and find a cure. This was hoped to go towards finding cures for cancer and dementia. The hope is to grow a brain cell to use in the same way so that the two can be linked to gain even more information to use to find cures.

Unfortunately I cannot find the relevant news link but the links below give information about research in this area:

https://www.proclinical.com/blogs/20...logies-of-2019

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ontract-muscle

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...s/art-20048117
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I would have thought that technology is responsible in many ways for what are our prolonged, healthier lives compared to years' ago when 35-40 years of age was considered the usual lifespan. Foods and medicines have been developed using new technology so are probably responsible for this increase in our lifespan.

The latest technology recently on the news was about how it is now possible to extract a faulty human cell, grow it on a computer chip so as to analyse it and find a cure. This was hoped to go towards finding cures for cancer and dementia. The hope is to grow a brain cell to use in the same way so that the two can be linked to gain even more information to use to find cures.

It seems that should be the case but I think we are going the other way. I think the ideal world was there for the baby boomers, before the internet of things and the disjointedness of the world we have now. In the recent past life is becoming cheaper. Technology unleashed is not a positive thing. The long term effects have not been considered.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

06-04-2019, 09:41 AM

Seems so Annie,quite a few posters on this forum actually
believe everlasting life is a positive. Cant they see the
consequences we are allready being affected by now.
I dont need to list what! It is not only long life either, the
high birth rate, globally is also a problem, witness the
pictures of large numbers of emaciated babies and children
shown on our screens.
I dont have answers to any of this, but l am certain that
technology is not it.
You said life is cheap, this is true only in the third world.
My final thought is, life is cheap, and the cost of living is
HIGH.

Best Regards Donkeyman.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It seems that should be the case but I think we are going the other way. I think the ideal world was there for the baby boomers, before the internet of things and the disjointedness of the world we have now. In the recent past life is becoming cheaper. Technology unleashed is not a positive thing. The long term effects have not been considered.
As one of those 'baby boomers' I have to say I reckon life in those years was better than now. People had time in those days, time for others, time to relax and not like it seems to be today which is 'a race to the end'.

We are also continually being reminded of how many over 65s there are nowadays and how negative that can be, yet more is being done to keep people alive for longer. Also there seem to be more and more people who become really unwell who are kept alive by modern drugs and technology. None of this can be good for anyone, least of all for those who in some cases are not really living a good life but just existing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top