Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 04:44 AM

Consumer choice is reducing

Having woken up in the middle of the night what else do you do but go online to have a look at the latest slimline dishwasher models. We've had the current Bosch 16 years and it's still going but thought it would be nice to replace it. However, going online they now look tiny inside with only about half the room to stack dishes. You'd think in all these years they would have given you more room!

So then went to look for another marvel mat having bought a fabulous one in store from Dunelm last year which is great for when the dog comes in from outside.

Firstly impossible to navigate their site as it seems really disorganised and then it was coming up with error messages. Turns out that they don't do the design I wanted in the size I wanted but they do it in other sizes or they have a different design in the size I want. Yet in store last year they had lots of choice.

Is anyone finding it harder to find what you want online these days? It seems that sellers are being lazy with their website design. Overall the choice of what's on offer and design quality seems to be going right downhill. Websites take forever to load with various pop-up rubbish.

Consumerism seems well and truly over. Makes me think of Henry Ford's quote, you can have your car painted any colour as long as it's black.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 06:28 AM

Re: Consumer choice is reducing

I've just replaced a dishwasher too Annie and you are right ...the size is the same as the last one that I had for 13 years but it stacks less items....I just assumed being the same size they would be the same capacity...not so and I should have checked that out.....I'll get used to it but I'm disappointed

I got mine from Curry's but I went to the shop.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 08:15 AM

You are right I bought a slim line one the first I have ever had but it is small compared to one I used on holiday .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 01:06 PM

I also have diffulculty navigating on line shopping sites
I find that the way they display the goods confusing and
the written descriptions inadequate.
A recent experience of mine was buying some gents
underpants on line.
I chose a style that seemed to suit my taste in the color
I preferred etc. And that l was a gent.
However, upon delivery, l found they came in a pack of
three,,in different colors, the length of leg was not what
I wanted, and most important! They had no entry in front!
Now who the hell makes gents pants like this?
Plus, the material they were made from was like gossamer,
and the cut was very tight. Not very becoming l can tell
you.
I's this due to the fact that more people now dont know
If they are Arthur or Martha
Fortunately, l found answer to my dilemma by purchasing
some long johns which were manufactured from a more
acceptable material, and cut the legs to my required length
I can now use the offcuts for armwarmers as well.
this is a bonus!

Best Regards Donkeyman.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 01:19 PM

I would imagine that dish washer interiors are now thicker to reduce noise and vibration which unfortunately reduces capacity. They did the same with the fridge/freezers and ovens too to make them more efficient (more EU meddling probably).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 09:51 PM

You're probably not far off there LD. Having a dishwasher is not eco friendly but it saves sanity.

There's a Miele model that looks more promising, but it's twice the price I was hoping to pay. It has a cutlery tray that is in addition to the others and means you just lay knifes and forks etc flat. Great design addition.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 03:14 AM

My pal has a Miele with one of those cutlery trays I don't like it to be honest i think it's such a bother laying them all separately....maybe it's because I'm used to the stand up type....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Providing choice costs money.

Do people want low cost reliable functionality, or a wide choice of form, fit, and feel?

I want the former, and suspect that I am in the majority.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Do people want low cost reliable functionality, or a wide choice of form, fit, and feel?

I have solved my problem, AT, at little cost so l am now
happy with the result, The gist of your post suggests that
if you have limited funds, you are condemned to accepting
inferior products, l dispute this.All products should be fit
for purpose, and, advertising should not be misleading or
lacking in detail. I submit that in my case, this was not so
If you have further observations to make l would be happy
to answer them.

Regards Donkeyman.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-04-2019, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Providing choice also makes money. Companies are focusing too much on paring down the value chain to its bare bones. It's all about shareholder wealth and not enough about the "customer is king".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top