Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Re: Travelling Circuses

Animal circuses are despicable and cruel the world over and there's plenty of them in Europe too.

This is Hanoi , Vietnam last week two very frightened little moon bears , no more than 12 months old, were rescued. They would have been snatched from their mother when very young (she was probably killed) and put in a circus.

Sugar and Spice are the lucky ones now, but will never be able to go back into the wild .

https://www.animalsasia.org/uk/media...jwABezRIr4kuQQ
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A difficult issue.

Animals are not to be abused for our pleasure.

My dogs however have loved obstacle courses and getting wet.

Flatcoats have a natural instinct to jump into any water at all.

They loved it when one of the kids threw a toy into the water in the local brook and they had to swim to get it.

It was brought back straightaway with tails wagging for the next time.

If they are having fun for themselves, I have no problem with it.

My dogs loved dog agility classes.they could not wait to jump into the back of the car for them, tails wagging and went mental when they got there.

I do not consider this to be abuse of animals.

With respect Swim, training for Agility is nowt to do with circus animals.

It is the capture and terrible abuse of wild animals, and the cruelty involved that should have been banned years ago.

Many domestic dogs love agility, it's like a game to them, and they go round the obstacles like a thing possessed, barking, tails wagging and happy.

Mostly the only time it can do damage is if the owner starts them too young, but any respectable club wouldn't allow that anyway.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 10:58 AM

I too though wild animals were already banned.
In fact there are only two circus left with animals in the Uk.

Circus mean cruelty to animals .
Does anyone remember seeing the undercover worker who filmed Mary Chipperfield kicking chimps and beating a baby elephant ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I too though wild animals were already banned.
In fact there are only two circus left with animals in the Uk.

Circus mean cruelty to animals .
Does anyone remember seeing the undercover worker who filmed Mary Chipperfield kicking chimps and beating a baby elephant ?
I remember that, Muddy. The Chipperfields were a despicable lot all together.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:28 AM

Even though there are only two travelling circuses with wild animals registered in England , without a ban it would not stop circuses coming across the channel if they so wished.

When we think of those poor animals, bounced around on the seas, in planes, on the road.. heart breaking.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I thought the same as others, that it was already banned.
Michael Gove trying to make himself popular, I think. Not working on me!

I don't even like dressage, personally.
Ha ha. That was my first thought too Tessa. Cynical moi?

Excellent news though. It should have been banned years ago.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Me too.

I have loathed circuses ever since I was small child. Couldn't bear watching beautiful creatures - lions, tigers, horses etc., - being made to do stupid, undignified tricks to the sound of a whip. Plus I was terrified by the clowns - I'd as lief be in the cage with the tigers as be anywhere near a clown! One visit when I was 5yrs old was enough to put me off circus for life.
The last time I went to a circus was when I was about 12 & horse mad. We were in the front row so got a good view of the acts, one act in particular made me cringe. A woman on a beautiful grey stallion, but her spurs were very sharp & the bit in the horses mouth very severe & she was really mad at the horse when he went wrong or didn't answer her aids quickly enough. I hated it & never went again.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I thought the same as others, that it was already banned.
Michael Gove trying to make himself popular, I think. Not working on me!

I don't even like dressage, personally.
I hate the dressage that bends in the horses head behind the vertical ( rokur) yet it is practised in all the major events .
It damages the neck muscles and bones and the horses are in such a state sometimes their tongues turn blue .

I believe in classical riding which is more artisitic and less forceful.

Unfortunately the British dressage scene has for too long been dominated by German methods .

Bit like the rest of us really
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

24-07-2019, 11:16 AM

Done it !

Wild Animals in Travelling Circuses BANNED in England as from January 2020.

Although there may not be too many of those poor animals left alive now, it does prevent any circuses coming from Europe into this country with their wild animals .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Done it !

Wild Animals in Travelling Circuses BANNED in England as from January 2020.

Although there may not be too many of those poor animals left alive now, it does prevent any circuses coming from Europe into this country with their wild animals .
I am so glad they are now, but thought they already were banned.
They can still use dogs & horses though & if treated well & looked after they can enhance a circus. I'm sure these are vetted regularly & the animals looked after, they wouldn't perform if ill treated, not now anyway because the paying public would surly report them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top