Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Re: Mick Ronson

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Just a quick post to say that this show was utterly amazing. I'll have a full report later on when I'll post some photos and other stuff.

No suprises there then floydy (going by the write up i read online ! Wow)
Pleased you enjoyed it, and that it was all, if not better than you hoped, look forward to hearing more about it.

Nights out like that leave me buzzin for couple days.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Great to see this. Thanks Longfellow!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Well it was a wonderful show. Not a play as such but a stage performance featuring a full band with string quartet too. Three of the band were lifelong friends and played with Mick Ronson in the early years, plus on Bowie's period with the guitarist 1970-1973 and beyond.

The two narrators told the story of Ronson over two and a half hours of singing, playing and film clips. There was archive material from Mick Ronson inteviews, taped anecdotes and stories from family, friends and just everyday people from Hull who knew this very unsung guitarist and record producer. If it wasn't for Ronson, David Bowie would not have been the star he was, rescued from one-hit wonder (Space oddity) oblivion. A very heartwarmingly funny, interesting and ultimately sad recollection of this guitarist’s life.

This link says everything and more than I could review about this amazing show:
https://www.pocklingtonpost.co.uk/wh...atre-1-9745329

Here is Mick talking and playing in the early 1990’s:

This is Ronson in 1973 playing with Bowie on ‘Width Of A Circle’. An incredible guitar solo:

This is the finale from the show. The band performing Mott The hoople’s ‘All The Young Dudes’:

One I took myself:

In the foyer. Album sleeves:

I bought the t-shirt!

And the memorial in Hull's East park:

Thank you all for viewing this thread
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Wow, brilliant.
Wouldnt be the same without buying the t shirt ! Lol.

Elo experence singer had sang with jeff lynne.
and the pink floyd/fleetwood mac experience and a couple others we've seen were kinda similar, sharing stories & showed on big screens behind them loads of stuff about said group, all fantastic.
If this one comes my way....i'll post a pic of me t shirt too, lol
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lorna ->
Wow, brilliant.
Wouldnt be the same without buying the t shirt ! Lol.

Elo experence singer had sang with jeff lynne.
and the pink floyd/fleetwood mac experience and a couple others we've seen were kinda similar, sharing stories & showed on big screens behind them loads of stuff about said group, all fantastic.
If this one comes my way....i'll post a pic of me t shirt too, lol
Thanks Lorna
These local events are invaluable and it's very important for us to know the stories of those who were rather in the background of things, as sidemen to the main star.
What I really liked about the show was that it featured local people, made by people who knew Ronson with film clips of Hull - bit like a home=made movie in parts. I doubt it would really transfer to a national stage because of this localised element, except for those die hard fans but then it wouldn't sell out theatres like this one has, and the ones you have seen too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 10:53 PM

So glad that you had a good time, Floydy. Thank you for putting up the clips - they are great!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-05-2019, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
So glad that you had a good time, Floydy. Thank you for putting up the clips - they are great!
Thanks Tabby, pleased you enjoyed the videos.

Next up - John Coglan's Quo in a couple of weeks time.
Coglan was the original drummer with Status Quo until he left the band in 1981 and later formed his own group. Should be a good night because he apparently does all the proper Quo rock songs of the seventies before they went all pop and turned into a sort of celebrity Chas & Dave.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top