Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 03:31 PM

Re: European Elections

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Just tried to find out who is representing which party in my area. Seems to be a lack of information who is standing and what for. Yet we are suppose to vote for who we think. What chance do we stand ?
Bazza there is a list of candidates by area here...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48081172

I do think the D'Hondt system of voting used by the EU is a bit odd with so many rounds .
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
That's a really good point. 👍
Thank you.

(And breathe).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Yes, I will vote.

IMO, it is our democratic duty to vote, given that it is only in relatively recent years that everybody, EVERYBODY, male and female, has been emancipated.

However, I will be voting where my allegiances lie, which, I am afraid, is not with parties who hate the EU, or who want to leave the EU, as I deplore hypocrisy in all its forms.

To vote in an MEP who does not want to be part of the EU, but who is willing to take the income, expenses and pension rights that go with being an MEP is, in my view, not only hypocritical in the extreme, but amoral, unethical, and almost verges on the criminal.

If anybody does not agree with being in the EU, then they should, IMO, register a protest vote by spoiling their ballot paper, and not by voting for hypocrites.

I am sorry if that offends anyone; the last thing I usually like to do is offend, but some of the hypocrisy I have come across recently is too galling to keep mum about.
No offence at all Pyxell, in fact that is an interesting view.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No offence at all Pyxell, in fact that is an interesting view.
Thank you.

(And more breath)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The answer is in the name.
You would think so but you may have missed my point. I could vote for the Brexit party and as Pyxell says, they might be happy to sit there accepting the benefits like all the other clowns. Teresa May keeps pretending that she wants to deliver Brexit but she wants to deliver Brexit with a deal, which is why we are where we are after three years.

I have voted UKIP several times now but as soon as they started to do well, Farage dropped out. I'm not sure if I can trust him either to deliver what he is promising.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 04:14 PM

Undecided.

The whole point of the MEP elections is to have someone to stand up for us within the EU parliament and therefore to cast votes according to what is right or wrong for us as a country and/or, for or against Europe's intentions for new rules, laws, or policies which could easily affect us.

That is a good thing , it means the EU overall might not get the votes needed to move such things forward if detrimental in this case , to UK.

With that in mind, if we don't end up leaving the EU, and after having watched the Scottish leader today , yet again adamant that they want another referendum , it's quite possible we might end up not leaving if nothing can get passed in the UK Parliament.

Therefore we need the MEP's and the Brexit Party (Farage's new party, NOT UKIP Ruthio) .
My local MEP has been quite good so far,(Tory) but certain parts of her agenda have not been fulfilled despite her being an adamant supporter of certain criteria. That to me says there have not been enough supporters of the same mind set throughout the 28 countries and that she has come up against contrary opinions within the EU Parliament and objectives have not been passed.

That brings me back to the Brexit Party, and I consider that for the next four years, we need to have a solid mass of representatives fighting for the UK... and it looks as if the Brexit party might achieve that, so I will possibly go with them this time.

Does that make sense ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-05-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Undecided.

The whole point of the MEP elections is to have someone to stand up for us within the EU parliament and therefore to cast votes according to what is right or wrong for us as a country and/or, for or against Europe's intentions for new rules, laws, or policies which could easily affect us.

That is a good thing , it means the EU overall might not get the votes needed to move such things forward if detrimental in this case , to UK.

With that in mind, if we don't end up leaving the EU, and after having watched the Scottish leader today , yet again adamant that they want another referendum , it's quite possible we might end up not leaving if nothing can get passed in the UK Parliament.

Therefore we need the MEP's and the Brexit Party (Farage's new party, NOT UKIP Ruthio) .
My local MEP has been quite good so far,(Tory) but certain parts of her agenda have not been fulfilled despite her being an adamant supporter of certain criteria. That to me says there have not been enough supporters of the same mind set throughout the 28 countries and that she has come up against contrary opinions within the EU Parliament and objectives have not been passed.

That brings me back to the Brexit Party, and I consider that for the next four years, we need to have a solid mass of representatives fighting for the UK... and it looks as if the Brexit party might achieve that, so I will possibly go with them this time.

Does that make sense ?
It does.
Pyxell
South of England

09-05-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You would think so but you may have missed my point. I could vote for the Brexit party and as Pyxell says, they might be happy to sit there accepting the benefits like all the other clowns. Teresa May keeps pretending that she wants to deliver Brexit but she wants to deliver Brexit with a deal, which is why we are where we are after three years.

I have voted UKIP several times now but as soon as they started to do well, Farage dropped out. I'm not sure if I can trust him either to deliver what he is promising.
IMO, if you want to see an example of hypocrisy personified, look no further than Farage. He admitted on air that he was quite happy to take all the money and benefits that came with being an MEP while doing nothing.
Behind all the smiles and 'man of the people' is a very nasty man indeed. IMO.

(I think I need a paper bag now).
Pyxell
South of England

09-05-2019, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Undecided.

Does that make sense ?
No, not really!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Yes, I will vote.

IMO, it is our democratic duty to vote, given that it is only in relatively recent years that everybody, EVERYBODY, male and female, has been emancipated.

However, I will be voting where my allegiances lie, which, I am afraid, is not with parties who hate the EU, or who want to leave the EU, as I deplore hypocrisy in all its forms.

To vote in an MEP who does not want to be part of the EU, but who is willing to take the income, expenses and pension rights that go with being an MEP is, in my view, not only hypocritical in the extreme, but amoral, unethical, and almost verges on the criminal.
If anybody does not agree with being in the EU, then they should, IMO, register a protest vote by spoiling their ballot paper, and not by voting for hypocrites.

I am sorry if that offends anyone; the last thing I usually like to do is offend, but some of the hypocrisy I have come across recently is too galling to keep mum about.
If my points don't make sense to you , your view doesn't make any sense at all, because this is a legally binding election as dictated by the European Union (unless we have left the EU) By European laws we ,the UK and all other member states, have to put forward their MEP representatives to be elected into the European Parliament .

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top