Join for free
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 09:19 AM

WhatsApp warning

I use WhatsApp so was interested in a recent news item. The link below gives details for anyone interested. An update security fix appears to have been issued to combat this problem. Although often updates are automatic if your's has not been updated instructions on how to update are given in the link below:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-14/...spyware-fears/
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Re: WhatsApp warning

Thanks Baz

I don't use whatsapp but I've just emailed the link to a couple of people who do.

Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
thanks baz

i don't use whatsapp but i've just emailed the link to a couple of people who do.

:-d
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 10:22 AM

What's 'What's App' Baz? I've heard of it but don't know anything about it.....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Hi

Hilarious.

Whatsapp and others are used by criminals and terrorists.

Of course they are targeted.

Get real folks, nobody could give a damn if you are arranging a threesome with the Vicars Wife.

Planting a bomb or arranging to rape a 3 year old is of interest.
Baz46

14-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What's 'What's App' Baz? I've heard of it but don't know anything about it.....
My use of WhatsApp is not extensive but it's an app. that allows texting in a more complicated way than the usual methods. It also allows users of iPhones to send photographs to users of Android phones for free. Photos sent iPhone to iPhone are free, if sent to an Android phone without using an app. like WhatsApp texts containing photographs are charged for even if your package has free texting. It's also possible to use it for mobile calls that would be outside a call package, to places that are not within the EEA area. That way it uses wifi, providing the receiving user has broadband.

The link below gives more information, hope it's useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HIr_IpSBEQ
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 01:38 PM

Conspiracy Theory . . .

There will be some new feature in the app background that they wanted everyone to have so in order to get everyone to quickly adopt the new version they concoct a hacker scare story.

Same will happen with Windows 10 at some point imho. They will want everyone on a specific release so will scare people into taking it. All conjecture on my part.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
My use of WhatsApp is not extensive but it's an app. that allows texting in a more complicated way than the usual methods. It also allows users of iPhones to send photographs to users of Android phones for free. Photos sent iPhone to iPhone are free, if sent to an Android phone without using an app. like WhatsApp texts containing photographs are charged for even if your package has free texting. It's also possible to use it for mobile calls that would be outside a call package, to places that are not within the EEA area. That way it uses wifi, providing the receiving user has broadband.

The link below gives more information, hope it's useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HIr_IpSBEQ
Thanks Barry very informative, but I realise why I don't know much about it....
I don't have a smartphone and you can list the number of calls I make on my clamshell in a year on the back of a matchbox... Texts would be as rare as hens teeth because I'm usually either driving or don't have my specs with me when I get one.

I did purchase a smartphone from Tesco for fifty quid because my clamshell won't last forever, but I found the screen and text was far too small when surfing the net, and those touch screen phones just seem to have a life of their own...

So I'll stick to this laptop for emailing folk (rare) or conversing on the forum (everyday) and if I'm not at home I shouldn't be getting distracted on the internet anyway, I like to be part of that little bit of world that I'm inhabiting at the time....
Baz46

14-05-2019, 05:44 PM

Thanks Barry very informative, but I realise why I don't know much about it....

– Snip –
You are very welcome.

I did purchase a smartphone from Tesco for fifty quid because my clamshell won't last forever, but I found the screen and text was far too small when surfing the net, and those touch screen phones just seem to have a life of their own...
The small screen and text are impossible for me too. My work means I am a trained keyboard operator so I touch type, no looking at the keys. I have no real idea where the individual keys are so am like a complete novice on an iPhone, when in fact I have been on computers and qwerty keyboards since the 1980s. It's very frustrating to say the least!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top