Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 08:20 PM

Who In History Fascinates You?

I love Oliver Cromwell. I go to an old Inn in Banbury and l have sat in the room where he planned his battles.

I love Capability Brown, christened Lancelot Brown. I love his name most of all! I wish l had called my son, Capability! He would have hated it!
Capability, a landscape architect, designed the most beautiful gardens all over England.

My third, is Lady Jane Grey. She was Queen of England and Ireland for nine days, then executed at the age of 17 at the Tower of London for, High Treason.

Do you have any favourite people from the past who fascinate you?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:40 PM

Re: Who In History Fascinates You?

Any of the early `Natural Philosophers` (scientists) from Lavoisier, Emilie du Chatelet, - an excellent scientist in her own right, she also translated the works of Isaac Newton into French. Also Newtons arch-rival Leibniz and I can't forget to mention two of my favourites, Johannes Kepler and the great Michael Faraday, a man born into poverty but who became the discoverer of electro-magnetic radiation and the father of the electric motor.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:41 PM

Anne Boleyn and her daughter Elizabeth 1.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I love Oliver Cromwell. I go to an old Inn in Banbury and l have sat in the room where he planned his battles.
I've forgotten most of what I learned about Cromwell but most of it was positive rather than negative. Anyway, here is a bridge we pass on one of our walks:

Cromwell's Bridge

Cromwell's Bridge also known as Devil's bridge which crosses the River Hodder at Hurst Green ...... the bridge is dated from 1561 and it earned its name after Oliver Cromwell's 8,000 strong parliamentary army crossed the bridge during his march from Skipton to intercept the Royalists at the Battle of Preston in 1648 where they fought the King's men.

J R R Tolkien also visited this area frequently in the 1940's when his eldest son John was studying for the priesthood at Stonyhurst College and many of the areas around Hurst Green are based on places mentioned in The Lord of The Rings book ...... Brandywine Bridge was based on Cromwell's Bridge and it's very easy to imagine dwarves crossing this lovely old bridge.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:54 PM

Cleopatra.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 11:00 PM

A couple of personal favourites are Elizabeth I (the Glenda Jackson version) and John Harrison (clockmaker) (the Michael Gambon version) .....

Oh, and Sir Ernest Shackleton (explorer) (the Kenneth Branagh version) .....

ETA Captain Cook (navigator, cartographer) .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 11:06 PM

I would love to have met Merlin the magician & King Arthur.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 11:15 PM

Lady Godiva.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 12:10 AM

Wallace (evolution) and Flinders(explorer)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:52 AM

Definitely Oliver Cromwell.
I always wanted to join the Sealed Knot on the Cromwellian side .

Catherine of Aragon Henrys first wife .
I would love to have transported her through time to see a gynocologist to find out why her babies died .
If one of her sons had survived it would have changed history .

Richard the third .
A man of immense courage .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top