Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 09:17 AM

Re: What makes you feel uncomfortable?

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Are there any situations you feel uncomfortable in?

I feel uneasy when I'm in a busy waiting room or on a crowded bus or train when the seats are facing each other.
There is someone less than three feet away and you cannot help it but keep glancing at their eyes because there is nowhere else to avert my eyes. I get sweaty and very anxious.

It's the same in cafes, in supermarkets usually. I feel so self-conscious eating alone and keep my eyes looking at my plate or have my mobile to make me look invisible.

Standing talking in front of a group of people, even if I know them well. It's easier sitting down around a table. I don't know why.

What about you?
I can identify with that Floydy. I have always found that a newspaper gives me something to focus on, even if I am not actually reading it properly.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Have you never felt uncomfortable/self conscious ,even when younger?
Nothing springs to mind really. But it was sometime ago when was younger.....
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Sometimes I get an uneasy, queasy feeling,when I'm having my hair cut. I'm ok when it's just a quick back and sides, taking no more than say 15 minutes.I once made the mistake of going to a learner hairdresser, as it was free. The woman took so long farting about, that I came over all sick, and barfed up into a bowl they provided!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:01 AM

I feel uneasy when I'm in a busy waiting room or on a crowded bus or train when the seats are facing each other.
There is someone less than three feet away and you cannot help it but keep glancing at their eyes because there is nowhere else to avert my eyes. I get sweaty and very anxious.

It's the same in cafes, in supermarkets usually. I feel so self-conscious eating alone and keep my eyes looking at my plate or have my mobile to make me look invisible.

Standing talking in front of a group of people, even if I know them well. It's easier sitting down around a table. I don't know why.

What about you?
I know what you mean, Floydy, but it can be overcome.

I like to do crosswords, so in any 'waiting' or travelling situation I just pull one out of my bag and get stuck in, with the odd glance up to see where I am!

If you don't like crosswords, keeping some article from a paper in your pocket would give you something to do in that situation.

I got over the eating alone thing quite some time ago when I started going away for weekends on my own, for a hobby I had then.

I noticed that women on their own in particular always used to read a book or something, in the hope that that would distract attention from them being alone, but in my view, it just drew attention to them being on their own.
So....... I just started looking at my surroundings, going into a reverie, or whatever, people-watching (people not too near me, so no eye contact problem!)
If I do inadvertently catch someone's eye, I just smile or if they are close enough I might make a comment like 'hot today, isn't it?' Or something equally banal!

In other words, I starting 'acting' at being confident in that sort of situation, and gradually the 'acting' became real!

Re. the talking to people..... it's easier round a table because the table is acting as a sort of 'shield'....... a mini barrier.
When you're standing talking, try holding your jacket bunched in front of you, or a newspaper, to act as a mini 'shield'.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
Sometimes I get an uneasy, queasy feeling,when I'm having my hair cut. I'm ok when it's just a quick back and sides, taking no more than say 15 minutes.I once made the mistake of going to a learner hairdresser, as it was free. The woman took so long farting about, that I came over all sick, and barfed up into a bowl they provided!
That's interesting, John, in a sympathetic sort of way, I must add.

Is it because:
- It's a woman doing the cutting? If so, are you better with a man doing it?

- You're staring at yourself in the mirror while they are doing it? If that's a factor, it might help to train yourself to look at the shelf in front of the mirror instead.

- Someone is touching you? I can appreciate if that is the case, but I can't offer a solution to that.

- Or the fact that someone is touching your head specifically? With the head-turning that that involves? Just wondering if it's a type of sea-sickness, in that case, maybe a slight inner ear problem?
If so. It might help to take ginger capsules before you go, as ginger really helps with nausea and motion sickness.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 12:28 PM

What about you?
We're immuned to this in London. For eleven years I travelled by tube from Fulham Broadway to Russell Sq., changing at Earls Court, sitting opposite people, our eyes glaze over. They are beautiful people too, successful highfliers.

Floydy ... I know what you mean about sitting down around a table: the way to do business, put the world to rights.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
We're immuned to this in London. For eleven years I travelled by tube from Fulham Broadway to Russell Sq., changing at Earls Court, sitting opposite people, our eyes glaze over. They are beautiful people too, successful highfliers.

Floydy ... I know what you mean about sitting down around a table: the way to do business, put the world to rights.
Bet you read all the Ads though and checked the tube map fifteen times.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
That's interesting, John, in a sympathetic sort of way, I must add.

Is it because:
- It's a woman doing the cutting? If so, are you better with a man doing it?

- You're staring at yourself in the mirror while they are doing it? If that's a factor, it might help to train yourself to look at the shelf in front of the mirror instead.

- Someone is touching you? I can appreciate if that is the case, but I can't offer a solution to that.

- Or the fact that someone is touching your head specifically? With the head-turning that that involves? Just wondering if it's a type of sea-sickness, in that case, maybe a slight inner ear problem?
If so. It might help to take ginger capsules before you go, as ginger really helps with nausea and motion sickness.

Some good advice there Pyxell. I think you might be right about the head turning and touching. I have no problem with women touching me, in fact I positively welcome it! Suffered from ear trouble for some time, have a touch of tinnitus. I go to a lady now who gives me a quickie, (not that unfortunately!), so it's not a problem any more. Instead of "Something for the weekend sir!?" I opt for a brown bag!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 09:32 PM

As I just love reading, I find being on transport, or in a waiting room, or even sitting down eating, to be the best time to pull out a book or a magazine, or the newspaper, so never feel uncomfortable. But yes, sometimes I people watch. I used to be a right wallflower, introvert and like Carol, not wanting to be the centre of attention, but got over it somehow and now feel confident to start inane conversations with other people.

Mind you, having the dog nowadays has helped tremendously! I talked to so many other owners while away the past 11 days! On the caravan park, on buses, out on the streets. At the kennels when she went day boarding. She is a real conversation starter, and I love hearing their own stories and experiences of dog ownership.

And travelling the world alone works wonders too.

So as for the original question, I can’t think of anything. I’ll let you know if one pops into my mind.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 09:36 PM

Ah yes, reading your original post one situation does spring to mind. Being at a social gathering with family, and feeling conscious of being a singleton. Not having a partner or husband. I used to hide behind my Mum and hated it when she would get up from the table and go talk to others. Couldn’t do that any more after she died.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top