Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Re: Shocking News!

It's a shock and an awful feeling when crime strikes near home or even worse in the home.
About 19 years ago I was given a council flat just outside Northampton. Hardly been living there when I when I came home from work to find front door kicked in and they took what little I had even down to some cans of beer in the fridge. They did exactly the same thing six weeks later.
Couldn't stand it again especially when the police came and told me they were so used to coming to my address so don't even think about getting a tv, hifi or anything really. It's was such an awful feeling coming home from work afterwards.
I was working full time and going through a divorce where I had lost everything and trying to start my life again.
I took the keys back to the council office and threw them over the counter.
Had to go and find a rented studio flat in a better part of the town.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 10:42 AM

We're onto our third ATM round here Tabby, the last time someone made off with it they stole a JCB from a farm two miles away, drove into the village in the early hours and demolished the wall of the Spa/Post office to remove the machine.

I passed the shop while going for my early morning run and saw the JCB abandoned outside the shop and a plod was gazing at the rubble scratching his head and taking a few notes.....(no pun intended).....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 02:41 PM

It goes on all the time. In this area a few years ago 3 out of 4 leisure centres were broken into. Not through the front door but with machines . In one they knew exactly where to find the safe and had a metal cutting saw. They were not lucky, but earlier in the day the phones and alarms systems to the centre had been cut off. Another one had it's wall bulldozed to gain access. All planned and not a trace afterwards.. Oddly enough, on each case the circus was around and about moving from one area to the next. Numerous circus staff had used the local centre on that occasion, as the circus was only about a mile down the road, and they knew their way around, plus it was never known if a coupe of acrobats had managed to hide themselves in roof spaces, prior to the building being locked up at night.
Possibilities, but never proven. That time of year again.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 04:03 PM

ST the same thing happened at my local post office not long ago, they used a digger and removed half the wall in the process

Our lovely young postmistress was so upset, she was insured but that doesn't make up for the disruption and inconvenience.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	106076689.JPG.gallery.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	9646  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 05:50 PM

Gosh, what a mess they made of that Meg.

A few years ago now, I was IN the village post office when it got robbed. It was really frightening.
Three men wearing balaclavas burst in, shouting and banging big long bats about to intimidate us.

There was an old chap on his mobility vehicle in there and he started giving them a bit of stick and swearing at them, and I was trying to shut him up because the silly old wotsit was making them even more agitated.
I was really scared of getting one of their bats wrapped round my head.

They made us look away, I suppose so we couldn't give a description, but the old man kept turning round to watch them and they went mad threatening him, and I was desperately trying make him to what they said.

I don't know how much money they got in the end, but to my knowledge they were never caught.
I remember shaking like a leaf afterwards. I really thought we were going to get badly hurt.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A few years ago now, I was IN the village post office when it got robbed. Iround my head.
Good grief, Mups, that must have been really scary.

Just been down to the village - mini mart/post office is open again. Steel plate over where the ATM used to be. No decision yet as to whether they will replace it. From my point of view I hope they do - but quite understand why they may not want to risk it again.

Apparently the people in the flat above the shop did hear the break-in, telephoned the police, and were advised not to come down. They are both quite shaken up - understandably - and have gone away for a few days.

Another mini mart/post office was broken into on the same night. Police think it was the same gang.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top