Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:28 PM

techni question for our photographer experts here

which do you prefer? there is a reason for asking ,re white balance

or this

Ok why ask?

I have been playing again with my camera and working to compare ordinary landscape settings against an 18% grey scale . Both are Jpeg files and all setting the same apart from already mentioned(unedited). Top 18 percent grey scale more or less bottom landscape (camera preset).

Also do you tend to photograph in a camera preset or choose your own white balance settings ie kelvin scale etc

If anyone wants to join in then please do
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:35 PM

Re: techni question for our photographer experts here

I know zilch about cameras and settings, but I prefer the bottom pic, for what it's worth!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I know zilch about cameras and settings, but I prefer the bottom pic, for what it's worth!

Thanks for answering, can I ask why you prefer the bottom picture?
Does not the top picture have more more colour? as white balance is to do with colour
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:40 PM

I prefer the top photo as the rose is more saturated making it stand out from the background giving it an almost 3D effect.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Thanks for answering, can I ask why you prefer the bottom picture?
The top one seems a little dark and so the colours are a bit muddy and seem to increase the blurring effect, or whatever the technical term is.

I prefer the colour in the bottom one....the foliage looks more 'real', as if you could put your hand in and pick the rose.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-05-2019, 06:43 PM

Thank you Judd ,I originally used an Expodisc against a grey card and locked it into one of the 6 available extra pre settings in the camera, apart from those already set by Nikon
Pyxell
South of England

23-05-2019, 06:44 PM

I see what Judd means about the 3D effect in the top one.....funnily enough, I was just wondering if you could increase the blurring of the foliage in the top one while sharpening up the rose even more so that it really stands out?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-05-2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
The top one seems a little dark and so the colours are a bit muddy and seem to increase the blurring effect, or whatever the technical term is.

I prefer the colour in the bottom one....the foliage looks more 'real', as if you could put your hand in and pick the rose.
fair comment and good reason. nothing wrong with that. Are you familiar about White Settings, by the way, in a camera?
Pyxell
South of England

23-05-2019, 06:46 PM

With regard to colour, I'd say there was more colour variation in the bottom one.....the colour is stronger in the top one but it doesn't have so much variation amongst the leaves.
Pyxell
South of England

23-05-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
fair comment and good reason. nothing wrong with that. Are you familiar about White Settings, by the way, in a camera?
No! Haven't got a clue!

I just point and shoot on an automatic setting!
Like I said, I know zilch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top