Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 12:28 PM

Re: Should New PM Be Chosen By Voters

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
I think its a sad indictment of Parliament that so many of the replies on this subject speak of a lack of trust in our MPs. I include myself in this. Labour , Conservative, Liberal, they are all the same. we should clear the lot out and start again. What they have managed to do with all their manoeuvrings and chicanery is to destroy the public's faith in Democracy. at 78 years old I've seen some dreadful politicians in charge over the years but his lot take the biscuit, the trouble is what do you do when you need someone who is true to his beliefs, says what he thinks and does what he says and sees it through. Although Nigel Farage would seem to be the best bet even he quit before the job was done last time.
Totally agree with you Rainmaker, but to be fair, Nigel only quit because he believed his mission of Brexit had been completed. He couldn't possibly have foreseen how the rotten core of our political establishment would utterly betray the country. Hence the establishment of the Brexit Party as Ukip had been infiltrated by the far-right.

Problem now is that whoever is chosen as a new PM, they will still have been part of the last lot and will never have the full trust of the people. The expenses scandal was bad enough, but the treachery involved over Brexit will never be forgotten. It's a pity we cannot use a broom to sweep every single one of them out and start afresh. but there we are.
We are where we are. I would imagine if there was to be General Election at this present moment, there is such disgust towards our political elite, three-quarters of the country wouldn't even bother to vote unless the Brexit Party fielded candidates. Policies they may not have yet, but trust in them at least is 100% compared to that motley crew sitting on their backsides in the HOC.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I had a conversation with someone who was going to join, I think it cost £15 a month to be a member which should deter many also you need to be a member for some time before you can vote for the leader .
I think it costs just £3 to join the Labour party hence the sudden large increase in membership at the last election a number of them left wing Marxists I understand.
Good point.

I have never joined any political party until I registered with the Brexit Party, as paying them money as a membership fee would mean you are financially supporting them.

The only one I have felt like supporting financially was, as I said, the Brexit Party and that was primarily because I believe our democracy is being threatened.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Although Nigel Farage would seem to be the best bet even he quit before the job was done last time.
You're correct: he did quit before the UK became truly independent.

However, having fought to ensure we were given a referendum on the matter - which the government assured us would be legally binding - he would have thought his job was done.

He, like the rest of us, had no idea that our corrupt government would go back on its word - the words of Cameron that promised to abide by our decision.

Now that May and her sidekicks have done all they can to prevent Brexit, Farage has returned to finish what he started.

This, however, has now been extended to include not only our escape from the rule of the EU leaders, but also the return of the democracy this country once benefited from.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Nigel Farage for PM, Piers Morgan for Deputy PM, Al Murray for Brexit Secretary, Lord Mervyn King for Chancellor,
Sir James Dyson for Trade Secretary, and Andy Mcnabb for Defence Secretary.

Yes, I can see a great deal of sense in that list.

I believe that the attendance of a famous public school and/or a degree in politics (or the favoured Oxbridge PPE) is not necessarily the best indication of ability when it comes to the choice of government ministers.

Far more important, in my mind, is the evidence of what people have actually achieved in their work in the 'real world'.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Totally agree with you Rainmaker, but to be fair, Nigel only quit because he believed his mission of Brexit had been completed.
Sorry, SG.

Once again, whilst reading through (unread) posts I have responded (my last but one post) without reading through the rest of the posts!

There are sometimes so many that I am urged to respond before I get around to reading ALL of them!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 04:40 PM

I think its a sad indictment of Parliament that so many of the replies on this subject speak of a lack of trust in our MPs. I include myself in this. Labour , Conservative, Liberal, they are all the same. we should clear the lot out and start again. What they have managed to do with all their manoeuvrings and chicanery is to destroy the public's faith in Democracy. at 78 years old I've seen some dreadful politicians in charge over the years but his lot take the biscuit, the trouble is what do you do when you need someone who is true to his beliefs, says what he thinks and does what he says and sees it through. Although Nigel Farage would seem to be the best bet even he quit before the job was done last time.
Before Brexit came on the scene I was fairly apathetic about politics.

By that, I mean, I just let them get on with it whilst I worked on keeping my family together.

Brexit has changed all of that and I, probably like many many others, have learned what really goes on behind the scenes.

I am now sure that I know what I'm voting for (Brexit) and what else will be needed as election time comes around (Reform of the role & numbers of MPs and Peers).

We have learned.

I hope!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 07:25 PM

If Nigel does well in these euro elections, l think we should
use him as the new broom?
I am keeping fingers crossed!

Regards Donkeyman!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
If Nigel does well in these euro elections, l think we should
use him as the new broom?
I am keeping fingers crossed!

Regards Donkeyman!
Yes, well we should know tonight.
I know that he has never been an MP, but the impression I get is that he would be more likely to support the general population of this country than to look after himself.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, well we should know tonight.
I know that he has never been an MP, but the impression I get is that he would be more likely to support the general population of this country than to look after himself.
We have nothing to lose,JBR, by backing Nigel!
Because the others have allready been tested and found
wanting! Nigel is merely an unknown quantity!
Give him a go!

Regards Donkeyman!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-05-2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
We have nothing to lose,JBR, by backing Nigel!
Because the others have allready been tested and found
wanting! Nigel is merely an unknown quantity!
Give him a go!

Regards Donkeyman!
I already have.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top