Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
geek84
New Member!
Wolverhampton, UK
geek84 is male 

25-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Changing careers at the age of 50

Good Afternoon

I have just been made redundant from my office accounts job. I am now thinking of changing career.

Can someone kindly recommend any popular careers people who are aged over 50 go into?

Thanks in advance
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Re: Changing careers at the age of 50

Originally Posted by geek84 ->
Good Afternoon

I have just been made redundant from my office accounts job. I am now thinking of changing career.

Can someone kindly recommend any popular careers people who are aged over 50 go into?

Thanks in advance
I changed my career from admin and went in to care work in my 50s, it was very rewarding but I m now back working in admin, .caring is very physically and emotionally draining. I really did love the change .

Sorry you were made redundant , good luck with your next venture
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear that Mr Geek84.
I worked in the same field for about 50 years - electrical engineering - so I'm not the person to give advice but just a couple of questions.

Do you have any particular qualifications?
Any interests that engage you?
Could you register with an employment agency?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Sorry to hear that Mr Geek84.
I worked in the same field for about 50 years - electrical engineering - so I'm not the person to give advice but just a couple of questions.

Do you have any particular qualifications?
Any interests that engage you?
Could you register with an employment agency?
Ooops I didn't notice the Mr, don't know why I assumed it was a woman poster. Then again some men are great carers too. Hi Bes, hope Max is good today
geek84
New Member!
Wolverhampton, UK
geek84 is male 

25-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I do have a qualification in accountancy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by geek84 ->
Thanks for your replies.

I do have a qualification in accountancy.
What about working for yourself in that case. it wouldn't take much to get work from local businesses, they all need accounts prepared. There are lots of people working for themselves now so offer a good rate and you should be fine.

As for carers, I'm not sure I would want to do it and it is generally low paid but there are plenty of jobs available these days.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 04:30 PM

a BFF's hubby retrained as a plumber in his 40s and runs a successful business fitting bathrooms. There is a dire lack of skilled handymen, plasterers, painters and decorators, heating engineers and electricians. It requires retraining but I think you would always have work if you build up a good reputation. Setting up a building company is also an option. Where you do the business side, hire people, manage the books. Get someone to look after managing the workers on site and contracts.

In terms of employment you could retrain as a teacher, they are always in demand. Nursing if you are fit. There is a shortage. I have friends and relatives who went into teaching later in life. Of course the adult teaching market is shrinking as online courses are expanded.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What about working for yourself in that case. it wouldn't take much to get work from local businesses, they all need accounts prepared. There are lots of people working for themselves now so offer a good rate and you should be fine.
You need the right qualification to sign off accounts, but preparing tax returns is an option. It's probably quite a bit of work vs what people are willing to pay.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 04:58 PM

A friend of mine was made redundant from her job in industry and after some studying became a social worker. She made a great success of it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 06:44 PM

Geek, Health and Safety, seems a popular choice or as an Undertaker.

I did initially, suggest you being a Bursar in a school but thought you were trying to get away from figures?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top