Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 03:01 PM

Hairs in back of neck

Do you ever hear someone singing or hear a tune and it makes the hairs in the back of your neck stand? I listened to Andrea on The X Factor just there and I experienced it. Another one was Ruth from the X Factor singing Purple Rain. That, and Chopin Opt 9, No 2, and Happy by Pharrell Williams. What a power music has.

My three sons are musicians in their spare time and I can't imagine living in a life without music.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Re: Hairs in back of neck

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Do you ever hear someone singing or hear a tune and it makes the hairs in the back of your neck stand?
There's a phenomenon known as an appoggiatura that is almost always the cause in cases like this alice.

I've posted this before - somewhere!!

An appoggiatura is a type of ornamental note that clashes with the melody just enough to create a dissonant sound. "This generates tension in the listener," said Martin Guhn, a psychologist at the University of British Columbia who co-wrote a 2007 study on the subject.
"When the notes return to the anticipated melody, the tension resolves, and it feels good."

Chills often descend on listeners at these moments of resolution.
When several appoggiaturas occur next to each other in a melody, it generates a cycle of tension and release. This provokes an even stronger reaction, and that is when the tears start to flow.

Maybe that explains it?

Apparently the Japanese National anthem contains several appoggiaturas which could explain why at one Olympic ceremony where a Japanese competitor won Gold, 75% of the audience at the stadium and 64% watching on TV also cried along with the competitor when it was played! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 03:29 PM

It does happen, not often, but is amazing when it does
Music is very important to me, keeps me sane - keeps me happy ......
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
There's a phenomenon known as an appoggiatura that is almost always the cause in cases like this alice.

I've posted this before - somewhere!!

An appoggiatura is a type of ornamental note that clashes with the melody just enough to create a dissonant sound. "This generates tension in the listener," said Martin Guhn, a psychologist at the University of British Columbia who co-wrote a 2007 study on the subject.
"When the notes return to the anticipated melody, the tension resolves, and it feels good."

Chills often descend on listeners at these moments of resolution.
When several appoggiaturas occur next to each other in a melody, it generates a cycle of tension and release. This provokes an even stronger reaction, and that is when the tears start to flow.

Maybe that explains it?

Apparently the Japanese National anthem contains several appoggiaturas which could explain why at one Olympic ceremony where a Japanese competitor won Gold, 75% of the audience at the stadium and 64% watching on TV also cried along with the competitor when it was played! stevmk2
Thank you for that Stev. So interesting and fascinating.

Apparently Beethoven could "see" music. He could not hear it but could "see" it. Amazing.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

12-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
It does happen, not often, but is amazing when it does
Music is very important to me, keeps me sane - keeps me happy ......
Patsy music is so important to me also. My partner is the same. If we have music on in the car then he starts car dancing whilst I'm driving!! It can touch you, or make you so happy.

Also, who can avoid dancing to a good tune? Shimmy on down
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Here you are Alice for your neck hairs!!

Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

12-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Thank you so much CC
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Music does that to me sometimes but I've tried to explain to the OH and he just doesn't get it! He has no soul, obviously..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Music does that to me sometimes but I've tried to explain to the OH and he just doesn't get it! He has no soul, obviously..
Try a different genre - other than 'soul'
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Try a different genre - other than 'soul'
Lol, Patsy - may just do that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top