Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 02:17 PM

Re: Voice Recognition.

I tried it but gave up as a lost cause. You need to spend weeks I think, talking to your computer.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 03:50 PM

I am thinking about giving it a try on my Windows 10 Han,
but I don't think it will cope with my Scouser accent !
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 08:00 PM

Now that's an idea. I have windows 10, I might try to have a conversation with my laptop. I wonder if it answers back?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 11:13 PM

Serves you right Han for trying to sound like Morgan freeman, vanity will get you nowhere. I'm terrified to have a go at mine, I don't want Darby O'Gill to talk back to me.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:22 AM

I have used voice recognition software for a number of years now and find it extremely useful indeed. In fact I'm using it to make this post

In the early days the software did need a lot of training but the modern versions seem to be able to cope fairly quickly. The important thing is to speak clearly and not be too hesitant. Remember that the software has no idea of context and compares words and sounds it hears to the lists of words it has. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking 12.5. It worked quite accurately from the day I got it and has improved since. The more you use it the better it gets. Inevitably you will have some laughs along the way but to me it's been well worth the effort.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Thanks for that sound advice Rainmaker, you have given me a bit of encouragement and I might give it a try.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 11:01 AM

I hope you do Jem, it's a hell of a lot faster than my typing.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 03:57 PM

I have got voice activation on my phone, so I just tried to use it, after I stopped sniggering and it asked me to say hello to google, it understood what I wanted, may look into this further.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 04:34 PM

Two scotsmen in a voice activated lift, hilarious...
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 10:28 PM

I have never got anywhere with voice recognition programs, which have been around for over 15 years. Part of the problem is that I have the ability to change my voice relatively easily which confuses them and I never really tried very much to get them to work as I just saw them as a bit of a gimmick.

The latest manifestation is of course " Cortana ", as Microsoft calls it , in Windows 10 by which you are supposed to be able to tell the computer to do things. I have tried this and, after going through the voice training and trying to make it work and me speaking consistently, it does reasonably reliably recognise simple commands. However Microsoft have tried to give it various sorts of science fiction functionality as added gee whiz fun so it is supposed to give sensible answers to " What is the meaning of life? " and so on! I doubt if I will find it more than a toy and one irritation is that you have to say " Hey Cortana " to get it to work but instead of saying that in American for which it was designed, I have to say it with my Welsh accent, as that is what I have put into the voice training in which it sounds daft! Anyway in 10 years time I see lonely people having a chat with it's successors first thing in the morning for company??

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top