Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 06:54 PM

Re: Now TV "box"

Hi

My son bought me a ROKU, about £60, just plug it in and away you go, absolutely brilliant, lots of channels, loads of films, games and no monthly fee.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I don't have Sky or any other form of pay TV.
I got a free NOW TV box from Talk-Talk but have never used it!
I steadfastly refuse to pay for a menu of mind-numbing American Films and programmes, and so will stick with free to air programmes from Freeview.
I find there are plenty of watchable programmes there to satisfy my viewing appetite.
I don't know how anyone can justify laying out £50 pm for TV.
How on earth can you afford it ?
I pay £46-29 per month, that's for broadband and the middle package (L) on Virginmedia, now we think that all but a few programs we watch are all on Freeview but what holds us back from cancelling the TV bit is we use an awful lot the Catch Up facility as we don't have anything to tape a program and would miss that function big time.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 09:31 PM

Apple "TV" is just a device isn't it? i.e a box to enable you to connect a TV to the internet. It's not a service as such. It just opens up the web to your TV. So it would display stuff like Netflix or HBO or other "stuff" but you still have to pay for that "stuff" don't you? Correct me if I'm wrong.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I don't have Sky or any other form of pay TV.
I got a free NOW TV box from Talk-Talk but have never used it!
I steadfastly refuse to pay for a menu of mind-numbing American Films and programmes, and so will stick with free to air programmes from Freeview.
I find there are plenty of watchable programmes there to satisfy my viewing appetite.
I don't know how anyone can justify laying out £50 pm for TV.
How on earth can you afford it ?
You didn't read my post!

It's NOT just the TV! It's for the Broadband, which we do use a lot, the telephone which gives us free calls evenings / weekends and the TV - OK?

The average month is now pushing £50, (used to be around £42!) including call charges but we have no choice as we have no aerial now and it's pointless coughing up for one as we are moving.

Besides, next door got a new aerial and got Freeview when the switch-over happened but it's often intermittent as we found before on our old aerial.

Even Freeview was rubbish as the only way we could get anything was by boosting the signal but then we lost Channel 5 and Channel 4 to interference!

Neighbours the other side also found that so they have a SKY dish like us.

If you have good reception then fine but we don't and never did so we went for the SKY package which was reasonable at the time - I was paying £15 for Broadband alone ant BT phone so that came to about £30+ per month back then. stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 05:44 PM

I pay over £50pm for Sky and can well afford it!

Edited...kitchen timer was beeping.

I don't care about paying that much for Sky as it's all I have in my life. apart from my gadgets and computers. Don't drink, smoke or spend money on going out, so justify it to myself.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:32 PM

@Stevmk2

If you have a sat dish then Freesat is the obvious choice. Even if you are moving you could pick up a freesat PVR for not much money and use it until you move.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
@Stevmk2
If you have a sat dish then Freesat is the obvious choice. Even if you are moving you could pick up a freesat PVR for not much money and use it until you move.
That's the plan as we won't be able to afford SKY TV when I retire but the Broadband and 'phone will be worth hanging onto, especially if we stay in this area.

BT are rubbish around here yet SKY's Broadband's not bad and the Phone's cheap too.
We wouldn't miss SKY TV to be honest although there are a few Channels we do watch that don't seem to be on Freesat.

Pointless carrying on with SKY though when we will not be able to afford it really.

Is there any point in my getting the Now TV box now?
stevmk2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top